TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 140 MPH Speedometer gear set for 727 transmission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

140 MPH Speedometer gear set for 727 transmission

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 140 MPH Speedometer gear set for 727 transmission
    Posted: Aug/12/2018 at 5:40pm
I purchased a 727 transmission for my AMX. Unfortunately the speedometers gear and shaft are missing. Does anyone  know of a vendor that sells the shaft and gear assembly. I've got the 140MPH speedo in the AMX. The item next to the speedometer gear housing was attached. Can anyone tell me what it is and do I need it? Mods if this in the incorrect forum could you please move to the correct forum.

Edited by Javelin360 - Aug/12/2018 at 5:46pm
69 AMX     401/727
74 Javelin 360/727
09 Mustang Supercharged 4.6
14 Wrangler Sport 4X4
18 GMC Sierra
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2018 at 8:11pm
Use this calculator http://www.tciauto.com/tc/speedometer-gear-calculator and after you find out how many teeth on the driven gear you need, about 3/4 down on that page is the color chart.  Search eBay or wherever for it. All the torque flights are the same. I have a few extras around if you let me know which one you need. The 140 speedo doesn't matter. They all work the same for the most part.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2018 at 8:22pm
Check any of the usual vendors, Kennedy, APD, or Galvin's. They should all have the shaft/gear. If not, any MOPAR vendor should have them too.

The other part is a VSS, Vehicle Speed Sensor. It normally used for cruise control to get a pulse count. Cruise control is dumb. It has no clue how fast your going. It only knows how many pulses it is getting from the sensor and to speed up or slow down to maintain the set pulse count. I have seen some overdrive systems use them too.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Javelin360 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2018 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Use this calculator http://www.tciauto.com/tc/speedometer-gear-calculator and after you find out how many teeth on the driven gear you need, about 3/4 down on that page is the color chart.  Search eBay or wherever for it. All the torque flights are the same. I have a few extras around if you let me know which one you need. The 140 speedo doesn't matter. They all work the same for the most part.

I'm not understanding how to determine what gear I need.
69 AMX     401/727
74 Javelin 360/727
09 Mustang Supercharged 4.6
14 Wrangler Sport 4X4
18 GMC Sierra
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2018 at 10:08pm
You need to know the diameter of your rear tires and the rear axle gear ratio.  Based on those 2 variables, you pick the number of teeth needed on the driven gear (the one that goes into the trans).  All 727s have the same drive gear (on the output shaft of the trans). 

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2018 at 8:21pm
another way to calc the number teeth you need is to go by the error in a working but wrongly geared system.

use GPS etc to determine actual speed vs. indicated speed. divide one number by the other. say your speedo reads 17% low. if the speedo reads LOW the changeable driven gear is too LARGE, too many teeth, by 17%.

if there's 28 teeth on the driven gear, 17% fewer teeth is 87% is .87 * 28 is 24.36. the closest whole number is 24 teeth. that's the one to install.

just remember that a large pulley/gear driving a small one makes the small one go faster.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic