TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX A/C Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMX A/C Question
    Posted: Aug/07/2018 at 2:32pm

The a/c on my AMX generally works fine, but once it's been running for awhile, if I restart the engine with the a/c engaged the belt slips and makes a bunch of noise. The belts are tight, and it doesn't do this unless the engine has been running for awhile and then sits, i.e. when I stop for gas Once the car is moving again (and air is running through the condenser), I can turn the system on and there's no noise.  

What's going on here? Does heat soak possibly raise pressures in the system, thereby putting more load on the compressor on a restart?

'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2018 at 6:35am
That would be my guess, and the belt getting hot and stretching a little. 
Frank Swygert
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2018 at 3:56pm
I agree. The system did not sit long enough for pressures to equalize and if you have the original compressor it is a positive displacement pump.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2018 at 7:08pm
I bet your system has slightly too much freon in it; have a technician check the pressures and readjust as necessary.
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2018 at 8:46pm

Ok, thanks for the input guys.  I wondered if there might be too much freon. As much as anything, I'm just trying to educate myself as to what's happening.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2018 at 7:11am
Are you sure it's the belt slipping and not the driven ( inner portion ) of the clutch ? Cause in either case is likely to be an overcharge.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2018 at 8:46am
If you have a belt gauge make sure the belt is tight to spec.  I was surprised to see how tight it has to be when I did mine.  That compressor pump doesn't turn over easy!!  I had a similar issue but once I get the belt tight to the spec it was fine..

Chuck Page
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic