TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1970 amx woodgrain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bvpotash1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2019 at 9:36pm
Many years ago before AMark made his reproductions I investigated making my own. AMC wood grain is unique. I bought an NOS auto console cover the largest piece of AMC wood grain available. A local company that makes wraps for city buses has a very large printer for vinal. They had a very high end scanner. They scanned the console and photo shopped that scan together and printed 3' sections for me on 3M vinal. It would have been enough for a complete interior. The set up / scan was $100.00. The vinal was $50.00 but it was the end of that roll.  They only had had thick vinal used for the buses. I was going to have more printed but they ran out of the thin vinal. I needed to purchase a roll at $500.00. I had over 2 year of investigation into this project and then AMark came out with his perfect reproductions. I sold the wood grain and bought a complete interior from AMark. Best $1200 I ever spent.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2019 at 11:59am
I avoided all the issues of repops and the cost of restoring to the original wood grain dash in the White70.

I removed the wood grain with some elbow grease and replaced it with a 3M product called Dinoc.
The car has received many admiring comments about the dash.

I know it's not factory, I'm not interested in going to an AMO show trying to win top dog award, I  like to drive the car and go to cruise ins mostly.

70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic