TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Check Those Bias Ply's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2018 at 5:16pm
Driving on vintage tires, not reproductions but vintage, is a death wish.
For one thing, even if they LOOK good, what can happen is that a partial puncture can let moisture (re: H2O) in and rot the cords from the inside. An unseen crack, checking, punctures, patched holes, plugged holes that aren't perfect, all sorts of things.
As far as nylon cord tires, I saw an impressive demonstration one time when a fellow took nylon cords and flexed and twisted then in one direction and tried to snap them. Nothing he wasn't able to.
Then he twisted and flexed them the OTHER direction, stopped, and easily snapped them.
His point was - nylon tires should be run one direction only as flexing them the other way can cause tire failure. CAN, not will, CAN.
Remember, there are not always absolutes with these things, it's a question of odds and are you willing to gamble your life - or worse yet, like some people do - gamble the lives of OTHERS..... I sure as he|| hope not because that's what sociopaths do. 
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2018 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Driving on vintage tires, not reproductions but vintage, is a death wish.
For one thing, even if they LOOK good, what can happen is that a partial puncture can let moisture (re: H2O) in and rot the cords from the inside. An unseen crack, checking, punctures, patched holes, plugged holes that aren't perfect, all sorts of things.
As far as nylon cord tires, I saw an impressive demonstration one time when a fellow took nylon cords and flexed and twisted then in one direction and tried to snap them. Nothing he wasn't able to.
Then he twisted and flexed them the OTHER direction, stopped, and easily snapped them.
His point was - nylon tires should be run one direction only as flexing them the other way can cause tire failure. CAN, not will, CAN.
Remember, there are not always absolutes with these things, it's a question of odds and are you willing to gamble your life - or worse yet, like some people do - gamble the lives of OTHERS..... I sure as he|| hope not because that's what sociopaths do. 
The 13 year old tires that I replaced on my car were not dry rotted. They looked good...but they were 13 years old...I didnt trust them.....and I know how old they were because I have the receipt.....
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2018 at 9:27pm
You cannot date tires by a receipt. Please read the following on DOT:
This is the only way to date a tire and has been used for so long that anything without it is for recycling regardless. 
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2018 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

You cannot date tires by a receipt. Please read the following on DOT:
This is the only way to date a tire and has been used for so long that anything without it is for recycling regardless. 
Ok. Let me say this then. The tires were installed on the car 13 years ago. And they had 2500 miles on them. I dont care how old they were before they were installed on the car. Point is they were on the car for 13 years, and thats too long.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic