TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T-10 Front Seal Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T-10 Front Seal Replacement
    Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 2:42pm
How difficult of a job is it to replace the front seal on a T-10? Obviously the transmission has to be backed out from the bell housing. Can the front seal be replaced easily once they are separated or will it require dropping the transmission out and sitting it on a bench?
Ever since I got my car back from the shop that replaced the pilot bushing and release bearing the leak has been pretty bad. I assume he did not replace the seal at the time the work was done...
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 4:16pm
Simple, with trans out, remove the front bearing retainer (part the throw out bearing slides on), 4 bolts and has gasket.  Seal is in the front bearing retainer....pop it out and put in new one.  make sure it is in the proper direction to seal.....clean any sludge off the input shaft where the seal rides and make sure there is not groove....burnish any damage if possible, smooth.  Put some gear lube on the shaft and on the seal (lightly)...put it back together. 
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2018 at 7:23pm
I’m trying to envision separating the tranny from the bell housing while on a four post lift. I can use the jack pan to put a floor jack under the tranny. This should allow me to separate it and slide the tranny back a bit . All the work would need to be done under the car and with the tranny sitting on the jack.
68-73 amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68-73 amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2018 at 8:25pm
Shifter might be in the way.
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2018 at 2:45pm
Good point, I need to get a look at the shifter to see. Obviously the shift lever can come off easy enough but the actual mechanism could limit tranny movement backwards.
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2018 at 4:47pm
Put the tranny in 4th gear and remove the stick. Mark the U-joint for re-assembly alignment then pull the U-joint at the differential and tape the joint in place on the drive shaft. Tape the front U-joint to the transmission tail shaft otherwise tranny fluid will leak out. Pull the speedo cable and plug the hole with a tapered rubber cork. Remove the four nuts/studs/bolts that hold the tranny crossmember leaving it attached to the transmission. Lower the tail of the transmission and the shifter mechanism (minus the stick) will clear the hump. Pull the four trans to bellhousing bolts and the trans should slide out. Caution: When the tranny input shaft clears the clutch disk, it will drop like a rock and smack the bearing retainer on the lip of the bellhousing and can crack or snap it. Second caution: Check your valve cover-to-firewall clearance as the tranny is lowered. Stop before they hit and securely block the engine from going any lower. Securely!! As in; one usually needs to shake and twist the tranny to get it to break free of the bellhousing. Good luck.
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic