TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rust Prevention Magic and Everbite Products

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rust Prevention Magic and Everbite Products
    Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 2:06pm
Anyone here use Rust Prevention Magic or Everbrite ProtectaClear type products. I am looking into buying some it would be nice to know if these products work.

J
Talonfcc566 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talonfcc566 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 3:18pm
I had high hopes for RPM on my 70 AMX undercarriage items but after sitting in the shop for a year the rust started to bleed through. After that I changed towards a different alternative. For what I was looking for a long term natural look but RPM did not meet my expectations. If you search, there are a few strings on this subject.
Good luck,
My Rides: 70 AMX 390 - 4-SPD / L382G(L-100) / 70 AMX 360 - 4-SPD / 1980 CB750C
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 10:23pm
There are lots of rust removal or conversion products but once chemically changed they have to be protected as all metals have affinity to water/atmosphere - corrosion.
If you look at the Vett and other forums, once you use vinegar, rust cure, RPM or any other product a paint or coating is required.
If you want a plain cast piece to look original cast, then remove rust by blasting, chemical ... and then clean with solvent and spray clear coat satin immediately. Just like any other paint it will rust if chipped but can last for years.
If it's parts in the shop then a coating of oil or grease will stop corrosion.
My drill press and other tools never see rain but unless oiled down once a month with fogging oil they will rust. Anything in the shop I miss oiling rusts.
Here, all my the cars get oiled every year or within 5 to 10 they are rust buckets - even the classics. 
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 10:50pm

I had the same experience with RPM.  It didn't last. Now I either just paint now with Duplicolor Cast Coat Iron or Cast Coat Aluminum.  For things like nuts and bolts that I don't want to paint I periodically wipe them down with Fluid Film, usually once a year before the AMO Nationals. 
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic