TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Transmission Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2018 at 10:11am
Originally posted by nextofkin nextofkin wrote:

my mistake I thought it was 1971 when AMC standard sizes the bell housing bolt pattern and crank, so anything 1972 and later 6 or 8 will interchange including jeeps 
but what about 4wd jeep trans
would like to put a V8 in it but I don't need it think I would rather have a 258 or 4.0 six but would still need a automatic trans. and still thinking and looking.

Bell housing bolt pattern is same from 67 on up.

Just the crank ends are different.

You can obtain an adapter ring from a member, that will allow an almost bolt in upgrade to newer tranny to older engine.

I think you can find a jeep i6 with AW4 and have it bolt in as long as you have an I6 already. Motor mounts and cross member are hard to obtain if wanting to upgrade to V8.

Camjam has a thread on his tranny upgrade to AW4, which using the attached engine is not that much extra work. As your using the electronic controls.

Farna and 401matcoupe can probably assist you in making the best option, as i am not experienced with i6 and small body cars, especially pre 71.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2018 at 9:05pm
Bellhousing patterns for V8 ENGINES are the same from '67 up.

Bellhousing patterns for 6-CYLINDER ENGINES are the same as 6-CYLINDER ENGINES ONLY thru 1972. It was the '72 models when the 6-CYLINDER bellhousing became the same as the '67-up V8's.

The original post was about using a '67-up V8 tranny behind a pre-'72 six...I don't care WHO you are, or WHO you send him to talk to, ONLY a '72-up 6-cylinder will bolt up to a '67-up V8 transmission. And ONLY a '72-up TF has the same crank flange as the '72-up 6-cylinder. The BW autos need a different crank flange.

Now...do we all agree on this much?
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2018 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Buzzman72 Buzzman72 wrote:

Bellhousing patterns for V8 ENGINES are the same from '67 up.

Bellhousing patterns for 6-CYLINDER ENGINES are the same as 6-CYLINDER ENGINES ONLY thru 1972. It was the '72 models when the 6-CYLINDER bellhousing became the same as the '67-up V8's.

The original post was about using a '67-up V8 tranny behind a pre-'72 six...I don't care WHO you are, or WHO you send him to talk to, ONLY a '72-up 6-cylinder will bolt up to a '67-up V8 transmission. And ONLY a '72-up TF has the same crank flange as the '72-up 6-cylinder. The BW autos need a different crank flange.

Now...do we all agree on this much?
x2. And 1966 is when the 290 came out....
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2018 at 5:43am
nextofkin wrote:

"Now let me get this straight if you have a engine 1971 or later 6 or 8 the trans. will interchange is that right ?
if you purchase a engine and transmission out of a 4wd Jeep the tailshaft on the transmission can be changed and be used in a rear wheel drive is this right?
What automatics were used on 1971 and later engines? "
--------------------------------------------------
1. 1972 or later will interchange, six and V8, but as pointed out you really don't want a stock six cylinder trans behind a V8. It can (and has) been done, and for a cruiser with a near stock V8 it's a viable option as long as the six trans has an added cooler and a shift improver kit... and all you do is cruise around, not hard on it.

2. Yes, a 4x4 Jeep trans can be converted to 2WD only, but it's not that easy. You need the output shaft and housing from a same type 2WD trans, and both trannys have to be torn all the way apart to remove the output shaft. So essentially you need to do a complete rebuild of the 4x4 trans. Most V8 4x4 auto trannys will either be a GM TH400 or a Chrysler based 727. The good news is you can use standard GM or Chrysler 2WD parts, only the case with bell housing is AMC only.

3. Prior to 1972 AMC used Borg-Warner automatics (58-71). In 1972 they switched to Chrysler automatics. When the switch occurred the bell housing to engine bolt pattern was changed on the sixes to be the same as the V8s.

You mentioned you'd rather use a 4.0L or 258. The 4.0L has just a little less power than a (bone stock) 1972 360/4V. A late model 258 has a bit less than a 304, but that power is available at a lot lower rpm. It should feel about the same as a 304 in normal driving. You an do a lot more with the V8s and even the 258 if you want to build it up. The 4.0L is closer to the most it's capable of putting out normally aspirated (no super/turbo charger or anything like that) in street trim, so there isn't much you can do to make big power improvements without a lot of money. Some, just not much with simple bolt-ons.

I run a hopped up 4.0L myself, and many others do. I'd use it over a 304 any day, and it makes a very good cruiser in even the big Matador... a mild hot rod in an American/Hornet/Gremlin even stock. You can use a 258 intake and distributor and run a carb on it if the EFI is daunting, but it's no better than a 258 then. The only reason I mention this is because you can still find good running used 4.0L engines, harder to find good running 258s now.

Frank Swygert
nextofkin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nextofkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2018 at 7:42am
Thanks everyone for the help, I like a six cylinder always have, the reason I ask is a Jeep is easier and cheaper to find than a AMC for parts did not know for sure about the 4wd transmission.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2018 at 8:35am
Originally posted by nextofkin nextofkin wrote:

Thanks everyone for the help, I like a six cylinder always have, the reason I ask is a Jeep is easier and cheaper to find than a AMC for parts did not know for sure about the 4wd transmission.

Like I said, it is probably best to pull the perfect combo from a Jeep, and do what CamJam did. His write up is perfect for you in making a 4wd tranny 2wd. And how to hook it all up without all the head scratching.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2018 at 5:34pm
Best bet is to find a 2WD 91-95 Cherokee. Not as easy to find as 4WD, obviously, but they are out there. TCU is the same for both, just some of the pins aren't connected for 2WD.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2018 at 5:18am
2WD Cherokees are hard to find in snow country for sure, but the best bet. Alternately, you can use an adapter and a GM OD trans. Or an AMC car three speed auto... but also hard to find now. Lastly, if you want a stick, you can use an early Fox body Mustang 5.0 five speed. It's hard to find the parts to convert a AW4 (the 4.0L auto/OD trans) from 4 to 2 wd -- as hard as finding a ready to run trans. They are pretty tough! You're more likely to find a burned up 4x4 model than 2wd, since four wheeling is harder on the trans.

You an use 96 and later trannys and controllers. The TCU was separate until around 2000. Grand Cherokee 4.0Ls are a bit harder to get around the electronics, but it can be done. the less features on the vehicle the better.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic