TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

65 Marlin disc brake question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 65 Marlin disc brake question
    Posted: Jul/15/2018 at 1:02pm
I contacted Scarbird about a disc brake upgrade and was a little surprised by the response.  Basically they indicated they need a picture of the front suspension and a bare spindle to determine which kit I need.  Wondering if the factory had a running change on the spindle or other components?

Figure one of you guys will have the scoop.

Thanks

Mike

Edited by a075923 - Jul/15/2018 at 1:05pm
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2018 at 2:00pm
You could probably make your system work fine for less $$.
Bendix 4-piston calipers are $100/each with a core.
Replacement rotors (if you have decent hubs) are $60/pair.
Pads are $25.

Paul
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 6:32am
First I've heard that! There are several different spindle base thicknesses of the AMC/Rambler spindle. Depends on brake width and type. The Bendix four piston used the standard drum brake spindle, which I believe is for the narrow six cylinder brakes and not the wider (thicker spindle base for spacing) V-8 drum brakes. The latest kit mounts the bracket on TOP of the spindle rather than behind it though, so the spindle thickness shouldn't make a difference (why they started mounting on top in the first place -- spindle out from base is the same on all). Maybe they made a change, or just don't have the 65 Marlin listed and the tech wants to make sure it will simply bolt on. You might tell them it's identical to a 64-66 Classic and Ambassador.

That said, it does look like the original disc setup (assuming you have discs!) can be refurbished for a bit less than the Scarebird setup. Solid rotors are much easier to find and cheaper than other rotors for 71-78 AMC front disc brake setups. A Willwood rotor could also be substituted if necessary later. I doubt thoe original type solid rotor will be that hard to find in the future since those brakes were used on other makes -- the Ford and Chrysler rotors are similar if not identical. Offset would be the issue if they aren't the same. Of course if you have drum brakes the Scarebird kit is the way to go.
Frank Swygert
a075923 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 9:31am
Thanks, I do have discs on the front.  May just check on what's available for the stock brakes and go that direction.  

Thanks again,

Mike
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 10:33am
You may or may not realize that front disc brakes were standard equipment on '65 Marlins....one of the "firsts" or "seconds" in the industry (Corvette's got 4-wheel discs in '65 I believe....Avanti's I think had front discs.)

They were 'optional' on '66 Marlins and beyond, no doubt a cost issue. (But also it's possible that the public and even repair shops had not embraced the idea of disc brakes by then....there was quite a bit of wrangling over "drums or discs?")
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 11:04am
Yeah, '65 Marlin definitely has it's place in automotive history ~with excellent brakes*~ as American Motors began to make sporty cars again after the '57 to '62 Automobile Manufacturer Association ban on factory supported racing ended.

*The '55 LeMans Disaster was partly caused by a race car with bad brakes (because the Triumph was having to slow down earlier/because it had weaker brakes?) ~and the Mercedes could not stop & avoid collision... = define horrific.

-He's right; '62 Studebaker Avanti had front discs standard first (and set 100 certified speed records) which cast a poor shadow on '63 split window Corvette (the split window may have looked good but it blocked rear view mirror = bad race car idea... especially following the AMA ban and LeMans Disaster (obviously did not learn their lesson; study the wreck again...)

GOOD NEWS is the Bendix four piston calipers are enjoying a new age of remanufacturing and they are not rare as hen's teeth anymore. Rather, they are become somewhat common and there's a new price war happening amongst the vendors (!)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=AMC+Rambler+Marlin+disc+brake+caliper&_sacat=0
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic