TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Bellhousing depths?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2018 at 5:55am
Internal slave cylinders (hydraulic throw-out bearings) are so much more reliable now than when they first appeared. For a cruiser or mostly street/strip car I'd use one. For something you're going to hammer a lot and could have clutch damage (that can damage the slave) I wouldn't. Jeep guys didn't like them, but that's on serious rock crawlers that are turned up a lot in low gear and they are on the clutch a lot more than normal. When they leak they don't work well, so you know before the clutch is ruined. Only downside is having to pull the trans to change, but for most people that won't be any more often than changing the throw-out bearing anyway.
Frank Swygert
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2018 at 7:20am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Internal slave cylinders (hydraulic throw-out bearings) are so much more reliable now than when they first appeared. For a cruiser or mostly street/strip car I'd use one. For something you're going to hammer a lot and could have clutch damage (that can damage the slave) I wouldn't. Jeep guys didn't like them, but that's on serious rock crawlers that are turned up a lot in low gear and they are on the clutch a lot more than normal. When they leak they don't work well, so you know before the clutch is ruined. Only downside is having to pull the trans to change, but for most people that won't be any more often than changing the throw-out bearing anyway.

Back when I was young and broke I had to take the transmission & t-case out of my 87' 5speed Cherokee (XJ).

I was also dumb & strong and bench pressed the trans/t-case combo out and back in one piece.

A short time later (couple weeks maybe) the old/unchanged internal slave failed and it was bench press time again Ouch

The problem may be even worse today with parts quality so questionable.
Years ago I had much more confidence in any new part,
now brand new parts seem to commonly fail right out of the box,
 I personally would avoid internal if at all possible based on getting stung in the past.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2018 at 2:32pm
I have a part's store replacement CSC for a 2000 Camaro for the T56 in my Javelin. Hasn't been an issue and was simpler to fit converting from an auto. Using a stock replacement part has advantages if it ever does fail.

Best thing I did was buy a transmission jack as it makes the R&R of a 130 lbs. T56 far easier. When fitting an aftermarket transmission, count on installing and removing it a few times to check and re-check everything. Having the right tools for the job makes it much easier.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2018 at 11:13pm
why does anyone replace a nice dumb reliable and simple mechanical clutch linkage with a leak-prone thing that can leave you dead on the road? i've never had any trouble making them work reliably. what am i missing?

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2018 at 6:01am
Tom, besides AMC, my experience is with light trucks ['61-'68] from International Harvester. They all had the juice clutch. Bleeding the system was the Achilles' heel of the system, especially with the '61-'66 combined brake and clutch master cylinder [separate reservoirs]. I have pumped and bled and bled and pumped until I was blue in the face...and then left it overnight and had the air make its way to the master cylinder [self-bleed?] while I let it sit overnight.

But it's no more leak-prone than hydraulic brakes...and fewer points to leak from than a brake system.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2018 at 6:43am
If you have good mechanical clutch linkage that works fine. If you don't, or it's tight around the trans, hydraulic is easier to run, it's just a hose. That is if you have room on the firewall to mount a master cylinder.  So for conversions where you may not have the linkage or using a trans that's different enough the original linkage won't work well (such as a modern trans that was made for an internal slave), it's easier. You can also get more pressure by varying MC size so you have less felt effort, though there aren't a lot of sizes available that I am aware of. 

The slave cylinder is usually changed any time you change the clutch, even if it seems healthy. You got why Jim -- the trans is out so you're really just adding the part cost. Not fun to pull the trans twice! It's like changing the water pump on many new cars when the timing belt is changed -- when the pump is timing belt driven. Not only can the pump go out and you do all that work again, but if the pump seizes you lose the timing belt (engine power!) as well. And of course many engines will bend valves if timing belt jumps too much.
Frank Swygert
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2018 at 11:37am
I bench-bled the CSC (Concentric Slave Cylinder ... AKA hydraulic throw-out bearing), hose and master cylinder as an assembly before installing in the car and was able to keep everything connected during installation, so instant pedal response.   Actually easier than bleeding brakes. I used a Wilwood master and they have bore sizes ranging from 5/8" to 1 1/8" in 1/16" increments.

I guess the same argument for simplicity and reliability applies to mechanical vs hydraulic brakes? Doubt anyone would want to go back to mechanical brakes?

For me, it was simpler to bolt the CSC to the transmission, bolt the master to the firewall (required a clearance hole and 1 bolt hole), bolt the pushrod to the pedal (custom bracket) and run a hose than to try to get all the parts to make a mechanical clutch work when converting from an auto. More importantly, the the LS-style T56 I used is designed for a CSC and the bell I used has no provision for a mechanical clutch fork.

If you already have a mechanical clutch that works well and adapts easily to the transmission, sure, stick with it.

Edit: Add photos of AMC T56 Magnum Bell Housing ... no provision for mechanical clutch:

Thanks,RD

Edited by Red Devil - Aug/03/2018 at 11:48am
Brad View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2018 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Red Devil Red Devil wrote:

I bench-bled the CSC (Concentric Slave Cylinder ... AKA hydraulic throw-out bearing), hose and master cylinder as an assembly before installing in the car and was able to keep everything connected during installation, so instant pedal response.   Actually easier than bleeding brakes. I used a Wilwood master and they have bore sizes ranging from 5/8" to 1 1/8" in 1/16" increments.

I guess the same argument for simplicity and reliability applies to mechanical vs hydraulic brakes? Doubt anyone would want to go back to mechanical brakes?

For me, it was simpler to bolt the CSC to the transmission, bolt the master to the firewall (required a clearance hole and 1 bolt hole), bolt the pushrod to the pedal (custom bracket) and run a hose than to try to get all the parts to make a mechanical clutch work when converting from an auto. More importantly, the the LS-style T56 I used is designed for a CSC and the bell I used has no provision for a mechanical clutch fork.

If you already have a mechanical clutch that works well and adapts easily to the transmission, sure, stick with it.

Edit: Add photos of AMC T56 Magnum Bell Housing ... no provision for mechanical clutch:

Thanks,RD

What CSC application did you use? Like a 2000 Camaro? And what size Wilwood M/C did you find worked best? 
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2018 at 9:51am
I used a 2000 Camaro CSC and a 13/16" master. What works best will depend on your setup. Most run a 3/4" master.

If plan is to use a stock short bell with adapter plate, best option is likely a stock-type clutch assembly and mechanical clutch as depth likely won't be right to work with a CSC, without some research into one with right height, or making custom spacers, or buying an expensive aftermarket one.   

Could always adapt an external slave if you want hydraulic. I had an '80 Spirit with short bell and stock hydraulic clutch using external slave, but not sure availability of parts? GreyhoundsAMX posted details on one he adapted for a T5.

Details on my installation are in the "6 speed manual transmissions" thread.

Hope this helps,RD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic