TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71-74 Gas Tank replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoffinMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71-74 Gas Tank replacement
    Posted: Jul/02/2018 at 6:41pm
I am looking for a Gas tank replacement for a 1973 AMC Javelin. The current one is rusted enough that I've replaced the fuel filter 3 times, just from weekend driving. I was wondering if there was somewhere to find a replacement gas tank or if there were any other models of car from any company with gas tanks that could fit, or if there was a more viable way or more widely used fix for getting a new fuel tank. I've seen the Spectra AMC1, but it does not say it is compatible with javelins, although it looks the same, so I was unsure of that. Thanks.

Edited by CoffinMaster - Jul/02/2018 at 6:57pm
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2018 at 8:12pm
I think Camjam has a thread which uses an aftermarket Hornet wagon 22 gal tank and straps. A wee custom but it fits and allows for more milage between fill ups.

It's an option or you can obtain an aftermarket replacent, just be sure to check the filler neck and gasket if you plan to use the original from your tank. Also since rust is the problem, and aftermarket fuel sender unit, though you will need to adjust it, by comparing original and making necessary bends to the float arm to get it close to factory.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 11:35am
It does fit but you need longer straps. I think I might of ordered the longer straps for that tank but I don't remember off hand. The tank is deeper but if you black it out, it's not really noticeable. Your fuel neck will work the same but the sending unit will need to be tweaked to calibrate the gauge. There's threads on here about this swap.
Here's a picture of mine.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic