TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

eaton truetrac in dana 35 (AMC 15)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 10:40pm
hey DF, I was sort of thinking along those lines, and just finished a MAJOR restification of my 84 Eagle sedan. I would have to 3.54 front AND rear though. hmmmm. thanks, gz
george z
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2018 at 3:25pm
hi, well, perseverance paid off! :)  The 1977 Hornet AMC 15 rear axle is back in the car, with a brand new Eaton True Trac, all new bearings/seals, of course all new brake parts, and a Yukon Gear 3.55 ring and pinion. First drive today, wow, what a difference from the original 2.73. Above I detailed the axle shaft spline issue. There was one more hurdle, the axle spacer.
I guess Eaton designed this for C-clip axles, that stick out through the spider, so C-clip can go on, Amc 15 axles don't do this, so how to get a spacer?
Well, we used the original spacer out of the old open diff carrier, that part that has the big oval hole in it. Problem not quite solved though. The True Trac  spacer is held in place by a snap ring cover held shaft, which is exactly spaced for their supplied spacer, which has a larger od than the AMC 15. So, the solution was to machine a ring to slide over the AMC spacer to the exact OD of the Eaton one, hold in place with a set screw, good to go!

So, long story short, only ONE part had to be custom machined, the above spacer ring.
The spline machining can be avoided if one gets 80+ amc 15 axle shafts. 
All is well!
thank you gentlemen,  gz
george z
maynardk View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maynardk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2018 at 4:59pm
Great work, George! George lives about 1 mile from me and has been a tremendous help with my "newer" AMCs from the '70s & '80s.

George gave me a ride with his new gears, and it makes a huge difference. A few months ago I drive it with the old gears, and there's no comparison. Look out, Bonneville Salt Flats!

Maynard
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2018 at 10:11pm
thanks MK!
to everybody else, from now on, if you have, or see in a salvage yard, 81-83 AMC 2 wheel drive cars, Spirits/Concords, Grab the axle shafts! This is a small window of AMC production, but those old axle shafts are GOLD, pure GOLD! Get 'em while you CAN!  :)

thanks again, y'all,  gz
george z
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic