TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC T10 and FORD T10 are they the same

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REBEL_BOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC T10 and FORD T10 are they the same
    Posted: Jun/24/2018 at 11:31pm
ARE all T10 the same case and tail shaft.I found one on craigslist with shifter and linkage but the owner does,, not what it came from GM,FORD, CHRY, or AMC. I want one for my 1965 REBEL thanks.
THANKS FROM REBEL_BOB
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2018 at 4:40am
T-10 for AMC open drive shaft main case and tail shaft housings are unique for AMC.....some Ford T-10's have a very similar case with tight bolt pattern but not same
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2018 at 5:58am
Tell me more about this 1965 Rebel. Never seen one, even in 1965.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2018 at 6:02am
65 Classic, 66 was the first use of the Rebel name, only on the top of the line 66 Classic hardtop... well, Rebel. It was a quick transition to changing the Series 10 line name to Rebel in 67. Probably a typo or going from memory. Unless of course he's making a "phantom" 65 Rebel...
Frank Swygert
REBEL_BOB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REBEL_BOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2018 at 7:46am
Sorry my bad , its a 1968 two door.so how can I tell a AMC T10 apart from the others,I know the difference between open and torque tube .
THANKS FROM REBEL_BOB
typhooner View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2018 at 8:33am
The Ford and AMC only were used together for 1 year. In 1965 the Ford/AMC T10 had ears on both sides so it could be used with Ford or AMC, but the problem with that year is it had no mount for the shifter on the case. The shifter itself was mounted to the floor sheet metal. These transmissions are ultra rare and it is not likely you will ever see one. In '66-up they do not interchange.
1969 Hurst SC/Rambler A Scheme
1969 Rebel Raider Electric Green    1962 IH/AMC SC/out
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2018 at 9:32am
This is a little off topic, but I thought I would post some Ford information since there is some confusion and incorrect information on Ford stuff in this thread.

Ford used the narrow Borg Warner manual transmission bell-housing pattern on their transmissions up to 1964. This narrow pattern was also used by AMC.
A main case from a Ford with the narrow pattern is a direct interchange for an AMC case.
The gear set and tail-shaft are completely different. Ford used many input shaft and bearing retainer sizes and lengths, but none were the same as an AMC T10.

Narrow and dual pattern Ford T10 cases are actually east to get since the Ford guys don't want them. They would rather have the rare 1964 only narrow Borg Warner mounting pattern Toploaders.

In 1965 ford switched over to the wide pattern but still drilled both narrow and wide patterns, ford also kept this dual pattern case around for quite awhile as a service replacement. There were some wide pattern only 1966 Ford T10 cases, but they are actually very rare since Ford started phasing out the T10 in favor of the Toploader in 1964. These 1966 cases can be drilled for the narrow pattern using a dual-pattern aftermarket Ford bell-housing as a template.

I have actually  a 1965 Ford dual pattern T10 for a Farilane, and a 1964 Farilane narrow Borg Warner pattern Toploader. I also have 1969 AMC T10. I might be able to take some pictures if anyone is interested.

All Ford 4 speed shifters mounted to the tail-shaft not the floor, just like on an AMC, the mounting method is just in varying different locations depending on year and body.
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2018 at 11:43am
It appears I was posting nonsense myself! 401MATCOUPE is correct. I just went outside to try it myself.

The narrow ford and AMC patterns ARE different! Only 3 of the bolt holes appear to line up. The upper left hole (from the input shaft side) is closer to the case on Ford Transmissions. I suppose someone could slot the hole if they needed to use a ford case badly enough.
I was just talking to a Ford guy that would use AMC T10 cases in place
of Ford ones when they broke them at the drag strip in the early '60s.
He must have forgot or neglected to mention slotting holes to make
it work.

Anyway, so beware out there! Do not identify a T10 by the casting numbers on the main-case. AMC and Ford T10s can have the same main-case casting numbers, but we now know they are different. It is better to identify by tail-shaft numbers. It is rare but I have seen fords with T10P cases.

Edited by akimmet - Jun/26/2018 at 12:05pm
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2018 at 2:46pm
Thanks for the clarification akimmet 
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
REBEL_BOB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REBEL_BOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2018 at 3:43pm
Tanks for the info,the trans im looking at fits the AMC bellhousing.The shifter is mounted back almost the end of the tailshaft. Pics on craigs list in MICHIGAN southwest AMC.thanks
THANKS FROM REBEL_BOB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic