TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

72 Javelin Starter Relay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 Javelin Starter Relay
    Posted: Jun/21/2018 at 10:45pm
I think BillD had a thread looking for the correct starter relay for his 73 Javelin and having difficulty findiing it.  As mentioned below I expected to have a similar search.

On the 72 Javelin (with the newly introduced torque command tranny) to be correct you need a starter relay with a post for the ground wire from the neutral safety switch on the tranny.   My 72 Javelin is a really junky bubba-owned car rescued from a dirt lot here in town a few months ago.   I just took pity on the thing and bought it. 

One of the changes was a different ford style starter relay with no post for the above ground wire.  I found the wire hanging loose and it had a really bubbafied starter button hanging under the dash which was wired to the replacement starter relay so the car would start in any gear and bypassing the neutral safety switch.  Not my cup of tea.

So tonight is started reading out wires against the wiring diagram in the TSM and I noticed that I needed the correct starter relay.  I checked Rockauto.  No joy there. I am a scrounger and have saved several wiring harnesses from cars I have parted out and from other sources.  I started looking through my bins and the first harness I picked up had the correct relay, part number 3235897 with the post on the back for that ground wire.  I live alone so I had to post to the forum and gloat a little.   Back to your regularly scheduled programs.

Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2018 at 6:05am
Thumbs Up

Even the small victories should be celebrated.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2018 at 8:36am
Hmm.  This part allegedly crosses over to the part number on your relay.

Also NAPA.

Edited by 6PakBee - Jun/22/2018 at 8:43am
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2018 at 9:28am
Every time I try to post part numbers for reference, none are available as if nobody stocks them. Seems we are limited to a limited amount of makers. Only one of which still makes products in either Canada or Mexico, which seem to me, is still good quality.

My KEM part number is obsolete and may never be found again as an old stock find. Blue Streak may be covered by its parent company as another name.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic