TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1964 Classic 660 voltage reg.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2018 at 8:54pm
That's the right drawing Bill, at least in the regulator terminal marking and probably the internals as well. My regulator was still working when removed because of rust and since then gone away with the alternator which one of our members did rebuild with new bearing, brushes and a slip ring clean up. Parts do move around our community and when I get back to Calgary next week, after a workation in Windsor and a visit to Chicago and a high school reunion in BC, I'll look around to see if anything is available. 

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2018 at 9:05pm
That should be correct for the alternator he showed me in pics........... it's for that model and the two wire system (output and field only)

If it comes to it - I can rebuild or restore the alternator or for that matter run it on my bench and test and adjust the regulator with the alternator.
I'll grab the specs for that setup, I believe I have it in PDF already, if not, I have it in the huge Prestolite book I have that shows that setup - out in my shop. 

Gee, I was just in BC - Vancouver. Beautiful (but HUGE) city.  And I live only about 6 hours from Chicago.

westree View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2018 at 9:18pm
That's great. I have a lot to work from here. I plan to take the regulator off tomorrow and give things a good clean. Should I try to test a few things before taking things apart? Or a simple test for the alternator before I dig into the regulator. Thanks Vinny, that would be great. 

Once again, thank you guys for all the advice and information.

Wes
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2018 at 10:21pm
Unless you have a carbon pile (unlikely, even mine is an antique - literally) and certain other equipment, these aren't quite as straight-forward as testing a Motorola with electronic regulator. In fact, testing regulated voltage involves a few more steps.
HOWEVER, one thing you can do is a quick, simple test to see where things stand "basically".
With a decent volt meter (even a $20 meter from Walmart, etc. would do) you can start the car, let it warm up a bit under the hood, and check the voltage at the battery with the engine running a fast idle - to about 1500 or 1800 RPM.
For simple voltage drop checks, test the voltage at the battery terminal of the regulator, the output terminal of the alternator, and at the battery. They should all ready almost the same, may vary a fraction but very very little.
Ground the negative lead of the volt meter and leave it grounded and move only the positive lead of the volt meter to the battery +, alternator output (large orange wire) and to the battery connection on the regulator (the one by itself, I suspect), that way you are using the same ground point for each test and not varying the readings by moving the negative lead to different grounds.

Always have all things connected properly when running it and don't disconnect things with the engine running (you can move the volt meter lead with it running as that's not part of the car wiring)
I believe Prestolite of that era was rated at 34 amps at 14.2 volts so it should be regulated really close to the 14.2
with a mechanical regulator don't be alarmed if it's showing 14.0 or even say 13.8 under various conditions and speeds.
But you don't want lower and really higher isn't good either.
Depending on speed and load, the regulator will either be on the upper contacts and regulating, or down and using the built-in resistor to feed minimal field current so it won't be rock-solid like an electronic regulator would be.

Clean the contacts but be careful to not bend or distort things inside. CAREFUL cleaning.

the contacts closes to the battery connection on the regulator is the circuit breaker-  engine off, it literally breaks connection between alternator and battery and protects the alternator from transients.
The windings and contact points on the other end (the diagram I posted I believe shows CP for circuit breaker and REG or similar for the regulator portion) is the regulator part - again, clean but don't bend or distort.

Once cleaned, the contact point gap on the REGULATOR portion should be .010 to .012"
The contact point gap on the circuit breaker portion should be .017 - .022"
(above directly from the Prestolite service manual - ya really think I'm going to remember those? LOL )

More available as needed IF needed, but it may overwhelm - not knocking ability, but unless you have done a number of them, it can confuse many - even myself - if I've not done one for a while.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2018 at 10:54pm
westree View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2018 at 6:19am
That does look exactly the same. Might be worth purchasing as a backup, just in case my cleaning attempt goes wrong!

Thanks for the instruction. 

I have done a few drop tests and I am only getting just above 12v 12.08... at the battery terminal at 1500 and no spike at all when increasing RPM's. I had the battery tested and it was functioning properly. 

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2018 at 1:05pm
The price is right on the regulator and it seems to be "NOS" - it's at least correct brand.

Clean things up and we'll go from there............ I think there may be another simple test but I'm heading for a nap, soon! Ugh, I hate being sick!
westree View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2018 at 4:59pm
I took a second look at your wiring diagram and all is accurate. The only things missing are the resistor(?) that grounds on the top mounting screw for the regulator. It's wire connects to the same post as the orange wires(on the regulator). The other missing wire(from the diagram) is the third wire from the alternator. I am assuming a ground wire(originally was black, i replaced it with red as thats all I had at the time) and that wire grounds to the resistor body at the top. This all sound correct?
rest well.

wes

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2018 at 6:31pm
Was that a resistor - or a capacitor (condenser) ?
No resistor is shown in any diagrams apart from those inside and part of the regulator.
However, the specs do say "condenser capacity (if used) .01mfd"
which to me indicates some applications used a condenser either to protect, or to prevent noise on AM radios.
westree View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2018 at 8:34pm
Cool. Could definitely  be a condenser. This is all very interesting to me.

Wes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic