TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Falcon Global 343 Pistons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2018 at 8:06pm
Rods are -.003 in posted Chart, so stock 5.875 bump CR a little more...
Below is stock 5.875 Rods, Falcon Slugs, your cam spec, FelPro Gasket using .043 compressed 4.265 hole dia.
I say your new set-up ought to "thump" pretty good with premium petrol and the "right" timing advance...
Gonna get a new Timing Chain ?  A Cloyes True Roller? Cloyes #9-3118 is the "good" set,
not #9-1118 or #C-3091 or #C3008K
Here is the Static and Dynamic Compression Calculator page at United Engine and Machine:

(edit) - oops, sorry, in your previous post, I overlooked the key word "interpreting"...

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Jun/27/2018 at 10:44pm
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2018 at 8:21pm
Yes, been there and done that, they used to have a good technical article to go with it on what to expect from a particular dynamic compression number. Their calculation using intake closing angle @ 0.050" + 15 is different to some other calculators that just use the actual intake closing point.
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2018 at 7:20am
Doesn't SCAT make an H Beam Rod that is 5.885? 

Would using these pistons with a rod at 5.885 increase the CR as well?
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2018 at 10:29am
Yes, longer 5.885 Rods would increase CR... but as it is with the Stock 5.875 Rods
the Dynamic CR of 8.83:1, with the Cam he is using and the United Engine Calculator,
is marginally / questionably high for Pump gas...
But all calcs are stock nominal values, so he's gotta measure all his own real parts...

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2018 at 10:32am
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

Yes, longer 5.885 Rods would increase CR... but as it is with the Stock 5.875 Rods
the Dynamic CR of 8.83:1, with the Cam he is using and the United Engine Calculator,
is marginally / questionably high for Pump gas...
But all calcs are stock nominal values, so he's gotta measure all his own real parts...

Thanks! 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2018 at 2:35am
I've looked at those rods on the web, but never noticed before that they are 0.010" longer than stock, handy to know. Unfortunately they are made for a floating pin arrangement and the Falcon pistons are press fit, not that they are in the budget at the moment.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2018 at 7:32am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

I've looked at those rods on the web, but never noticed before that they are 0.010" longer than stock, handy to know. Unfortunately they are made for a floating pin arrangement and the Falcon pistons are press fit, not that they are in the budget at the moment.

Darren... Would the Wiseco pistons work with the Scat Rods better? I'm curious about what the CR would be with those pistons and the longer Scat rods. I've been torn on what pistons/rods to use in my 360 for a while. I see you are using the stock rods with the Falcon Global pistons... and I am glad to see that they are both compatible. That's a good combination.  

Press fit pistons/rods can be converted to floating right? I realize that doing stuff like that adds to costs... so it its not feasible for a lot of people.   
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2018 at 4:42pm
I'm far from an expert, but I would think that by the time you paid for the extra work to convert the pistons to floating pins, you would be better off just buying pistons that are made that way in the first place.

Couple of other things worth noting is that there appears to be plenty of clearance to the crank throws with the Falcon Global pistons. 

It looks like I'm at 0.019" deck clearance even with the taller pistons, so have to assume reconditioned rods are slightly shorter than stock and also allow for manufacturing tolerances on the block, not really a big issue for me as far as compression goes.

The only other thing that comes to mind is that the pistons are maybe a little small on the diameter, I measured 4.077" towards the bottom of the skirts at right angles to the pin, with no actual instructions on the proper place to measure. Factory spec on the bore is 4.079"-4.083" and mine are coming out at 4.081"-4.082", so the pistons are a little on the loose side, but again no instructions in the box to tell you what to run with these pistons. I'm ok with a little more clearance for what is going to be a race only motor.

Final word is that I know somebody else who bought the same Falcon Global pistons a couple of years ago and they were not Rebuilder's Choice brand.
oldguy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2018 at 11:21pm
I have falcon global pistons in the 360 in my AMX. been very pleased,runs great goes like stink
probably 10k miles since I put the motor together
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic