TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1970 Fuel Tank Vent

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1970 Fuel Tank Vent
    Posted: Jun/17/2018 at 6:50pm
I've been trying to come up with a way to install an aftermarket vent valve on the line coming off of the vented filler neck. Bought a Holley vent valve that needs to be installed above the fuel level. Was looking through my 1970 TM today and saw a diagram for these vented filler necks that simply has a hose coming off the neck making a short loop inside the trunk and then attaching to a nipple venting to atmosphere above the filler tube ..... Very simple setup! I was thinking it would need to be run up to a charcoal canister, etc., and didn't want to do anything that involved.

I'm guessing that the charcoal canister was not needed in all states initially and for those cars going to other states simply used this loop in late 1970? Can anyone tell me if the nipple that the hose attaches to going back outside the car is anything special - any type of valve or is it simply a nipple?
Any idea if the nipple and grommet are available anywhere? If the nipple is not a valve then I would be possible in a roll over for fuel to run out the vent I guess?
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2018 at 7:17pm
It;s just a longer grommet with about a 3/32" hole. No valve/spring... Just meant to keep the gas tank at atmospheric pressure and placed so bugs/debris don't get into it.
Don't know of a source but if you had a grommet to fit the hole then you could probably use anything that would fit the hose and grommet as an insert that reduces the ID - like pen without the insert.
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2018 at 7:49pm
I'm a bit rusty about LATE '70 stuff but I do not believe AMC used a charcoal canister in 1970. They had a roll-over valve mounted on the inside, driver frame rail above the wheel arch that connected to a vent line from the rear of the gas tank. The 'loop" that you describe was used on the early '70 models as AMC used up the available '68/9 gas tanks.
Mike
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2018 at 7:51pm
I found the grommet, hose and clamps at AMark. Only thing I haven't located is the hose nipple that exits back into the filler neck space. Could probably use about any 3/16" nipple fitting if its nothing special. Wish I'd have seen this in the TM before buying the Holley vent for $18....
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 10:44am
If memory serves me, I believe that (nylon?) nipple is the same as used on the axle as a vent. I don't know if other manufacturers used them or not.
Mike
rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 11:31am
I do believe I have a complete setup, I saved for some reason. I will look today.
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 3:46pm
That would be great if you did Rod!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic