TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

65 American 1909 carb issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moparmusclecars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 65 American 1909 carb issues
    Posted: Jun/17/2018 at 1:05pm
The Holley 1909 was used on the 196 I have in my 1965 American. How hard are these carbs to rebuild? I'm thinking not bad, since its only a 1 barrel. Anything special to be looking for or watching? I think my accelerator pump is bad, since the car sat for 18 years. Running off a clean gas can with fresh fuel, and fuel filter at the carb. It idles great, but stumbles all over the place once you accelerate in park. Would a carb cleaner additive fix this if it was poured in the fresh gas? Or, am i down to a rebuild kit in the carb? 
vintage60 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vintage60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2018 at 1:20pm
Bite the bullet and rebuild the carb you won't get it clean by running cleaner in the gas. It's pretty straight forward. The key is take your time, be maticulous, and clean all internal passengers and jets. If you haven't done it before watch some online videos before tackling yours. Also take pictures of everything as you disassemble step by step.
moparmusclecars View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moparmusclecars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2018 at 1:31pm
Thanks. That is what I figured. I'll see if i can find a kit and rebuild it. I use to actually rebuild carbs for guy's, but that was thirty years ago. I'll watch how i take it part, and take pics. Shouldn't be too bad. 
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2018 at 1:34pm
x2.  There are some good videos online for carbs in general.  I have not specificially looked for a 1909 video.  Use both the instructions that come with the carb kit and the AMC service manual which is more detailed.  Also, the specific carb settings for you Rambler are in the service manual, (float level, etc.).  It is easier if you rebuild the carb in a day or two (after soaking, etc.) because you won't easily forget some of the details.  I always but a shallow tray lined with white paper beneath a carb under repair on my work bench.  Joe 
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2018 at 5:17pm
If you get yourself a '65 American TSM it will provide you with everything you need to know about the Holley 1909.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 6:20am
I'm with you, probably the accelerator pump. If it's more than 35-40 years old it's not ethanol tolerant and that could be the issue. Won't be for any replacement parts. 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic