TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Crank Trigger for late V8

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crank Trigger for late V8
    Posted: Jun/16/2018 at 2:04pm
I have the facilities to adapt nearly anything.
BUT I am wondering what people here are doing.

I was going to use the MSD Universal kit and get creative.

Gremlin Dreams
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2018 at 6:24pm
Ever research MegaJolt?

They adapt the Ford EDIS [Electronic Distributorless Ignition System] to a variety of engines...or more correctly, they tell you how to do it.

In an AMC, then, the distributor hole in the front cover would simply become the home for the oil pump drive ONLY.

Ford parts make the EDIS conversion attractive, should you ever break down in East Bumfuzzle...because AutoZoo should carry replacement parts.

MSD may not be available in every small town, should problems occur on a Sunday.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2018 at 6:35pm
Another option and quite accurate would be an optical line sensor mounted to pick up on the flywheel or balancer timing mark. They are robotics parts but cheap and easy to wire.
Just need a reflective line to pick up.
Have not done this on a car but, have on robots for a speed sensor, so I doubt it would hard. No programming, just pick up the voltage signal when the senor sees the line.
Just an out of the box idea that would be a lot cheaper and just as accurate - likely more so. 
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2018 at 8:30pm
Page 1 shows how I adapted one from a MSD unit.  It would be cool to make up a kit specific to AMC.
  http://rebsamcandjeep.proboards.com/thread/11/amc-engine-builds?page=1
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2018 at 9:30pm
Excellent SC387!

That's what I needed!

Is that the SBC kit?

I figure after purchasing a kit
I will simply make new hardware patterned
after the original but fitting specifically AMC. 
Gremlin Dreams
amx600rr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx600rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2018 at 9:54pm
I will share pics and what little I know about a trigger setup that was on a 69 AMX drag car I purchased in 1991 so someone was fabing them in the 1980's.   The gold anodized  sensor bracket mounts at fuel pump. Has KOPACK engraved in it.  The trigger wheel is machined aluminum. The sensor I think was a GM part and magnet is in the sensor.  If someone can tell me how to post my photos I will share them.
Jerry

SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2018 at 10:15pm
I think it is a small block ford kit and I made the bracketry.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2018 at 5:19am
I seen what looks like a chevy trigger setup on the front of a damper on a nicely built engine. Just can't remember who posted their pics. One of our engine guys, who may be away at this time, but may pop in with info later on.

I heard about Ford trigger kits, and is one reason why I had gone and re did my after market balancer for Ford pully bolt pattern.

If i bump into the orginal posts, before he makes a reply, I will post a link or his picture... don't remember if anyone commented about his crank trigger setup at the time. Looked pretty sweet to me.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2018 at 6:57am
For the moment I am looking to use the universal kit
or the Ford.

The brackets SC397 made are nice, I will draw them up
in MasterCam and make a couple of sets for my projects.
Gremlin Dreams
kracex View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kracex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2018 at 12:23pm
I adapted a SBC MSD crank trigger kit.

69 amx racecar
70 amx BBG S.Mask
70 amx
73 gremlin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic