TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

DJ5D 727

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ5D Postal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DJ5D 727
    Posted: Jun/12/2018 at 11:52am
Trying to put a DJ5D (1975) Postal Jeep back on the road and it has issues......  I do not know much about transmissions.  I have always been a Ford Bronco and Toyota Landcruiser guy up to this point.  If everything is stock and I believe it is I should have a 232 I6 with a 727 torque flight.

Transmission won't shift from 2nd to 3rd gear.  I am assuming the Postals have a 3rd gear.  Any recommendations?  I only have a big parking lot to do my test drives, but the engine/drive train is screaming by the time I have to slow down at the other end.

Anther possibly related transmission issue - the Reverse/Neutral Safety switch seems to have no effect as I can start the vehicle regardless of the gear selector placement.   I replaced the switch and no change. 

I doubt this is the case, but more thing - I am 99.5% sure I am in "Drive".  The gear selector is a little jacked up and not properly aligned with the positions on the floor mounted indicator - you know "P-R-N-D-2-1."  I ease it from Reverse to Neutral then into Drive - Noise and slight movement is when I know I am in Drive.  I suspect I have a true issue as the bolts on the floor mounted transmission access plate is loose (previous owner).

I also know I have some vacuum issues to work out as a bunch of hoses are plugged.  Not sure if this is related as it shifts form 1st to 2nd and downshifts automatically.

Thanks for the assistance
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2018 at 1:42pm
Your 1975 DJ-5D was produced by AM General. A division of AMC Jeep but they were operated as a separate company producing military and other trucks as well. You may get good advice but it may also not be specific to your vehicle. The plugged vacuum hoses would be an example that may not be routed or function as would a Jeep CJ or AMC car.
There are TSM's for sale online, your specific year, I'd suggest starting there as any advice may be good intention but wrong.
For all I know they may have adjusted the kick down lever to stay in 1st and 2nd and never go to 3rd if it never ran on the highway? For constant stop start, I'd think that would be prudent. 
DJ5D Postal View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ5D Postal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2018 at 8:34am
Thanks.  Sounds like all options still on the table.  I was hoping to narrow it down to mechanical linkage, hydraulic, purely vacuum, etc.  For example - I had a 74 Caprice Classic that would not shift if a vacuum hose fell off (I cannot recall what exactly would not work, but when it happened - I had to lay on the ground and reconnect the hose).

Thanks again
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 6:40am
You may have a Borg-Warner M-4x trans. The postal Jeeps used them for a few years after AMC stopped. The BW starts off in 2nd gear in the normal "Drive" position. Try it in the "middle" position (2) and see if you can feel three gears shift. If not, then you don't have the BW. You can also ID the 727 by the pan shape (http://www.spiderautomotive.com/rebuildkits.html). 

If you have a 727 you may not have the kick-down linkage adjusted properly. The linkage also provides feedback to the trans to control internal pressure and shifting, much like a TV cable on other auto trannys. With the linkage not connected the trans won't shift right, and you can damage the trans with no linkage or mis-adjusted linkage.

Finally, the rear axles of postal Jeeps are pretty low. They were intended for in-town delivery, not high speed highway use. They were never intended to be driven over 55 mph. A low rear axle would make high speed driving a bear, but improve gas mileage for short stop and go driving as the engine isn't doing much work to take off.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic