TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

wet carpet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wet carpet
    Posted: Jun/10/2018 at 9:43am
    Hello, I am a new member as well as new to the world of amc so any help or advice would be deeply appreciated thank you in advance. I have a 64 typhoon which is in very good condition. I was caught in the rain yesterday and water came in at the front kick panels on both sides of the car. The vents were both closed but I don't think that was a factor because the water came in from above them. Wondering if this is a common problem or advice to fix problem.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2018 at 10:18am
It is a common problem.  You probably have rust in the cowling (where the windshield wipers are located) especially on the passenger (right) side of the car above the heater box.  Debris settles in that area over time and water cannot drain to the sides down through the sides to the rear of the fenders promoting rust.  If you are serious about checking for corrosion, you will need to remove the heater box with it's heater core and inspect above that area.  My advice is to get a service manual and learn how to remove it.  I am completing just such a repair at this time and it is the second one I have done.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2018 at 3:23pm
inner rocker rust and floor plug rust can be issues as well
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
panman View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2018 at 5:19pm
Thank you, I removed cowling when I had windshield replaced and it is amazingly rust free. Speaking of windshield replacement l think that is where the problem is.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic