TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

64 Rambler Classic 660 carb tuning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 64 Rambler Classic 660 carb tuning
    Posted: Jun/04/2018 at 8:23am
Hi all. I have got her to run but am a bit confused about a few things. Its a single barrel carb.

Carbs:
1) Which of the adjustment screws are which? Is the screw closest to the front of the car the idle?
2) It seems that the screws can only be adjusted out to a certain point and then they hit the body of the carb, is this normal?

Firing order:
The way my wires are connected are 142635, should they not be be 153624? The car does run with this alignment. I did try 153624 and could not get it to run. 

Any and all feedback is appreciated. Anyone have a service manual available online or a good place to buy one?

Ramble on.

Wes
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2018 at 1:12am
There were a few 1 barrel carbs used on the 196.  What one does your car have so someone can tell you how to adjust it.  According to the TSM, 153624 is the correct firing order.  If your car won't run in this configuration possibly the distributor is installed incorrectly.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2018 at 3:21am
Make sure you know which direction the distributer is turning.

You probably have the Carter RBS carburetor. There are you tube videos on rebuilding it. You might get some help from this. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7L-luCLrZ4.
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2018 at 3:23am
Westree, the firing order you listed is the same, just going in the opposite direction. :)

There's a few places to get the TSM...  Galvin's for one.  IIRC, I think I saw the digital version available at Rock Auto last time I was there.

I've got a '64 TSM, but it's at the shop with my Rambler.  I'll bring it home tomorrow and see if I can find a carb pic.
1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman
vintage60 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vintage60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2018 at 5:13am
IIRC Distributor rotates counter clockwise on a ohv 196. So the 153624 order should follow that direction.

Carb should have two basic adjustments air/fuel and idle. Air/fuel is screw goes into the base or lower body. Idle speed will be external near the butterfly linkage.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2018 at 8:25pm
Yes like vintage60 says there are only 2 screws. The air screw can be initially set by screwing in until closed (gently) and then back it out 1 1/2 turns and adjust for max RPM after that. If it idles too low shut the car off and open the throttle to get access to the throttle stop screw. 

You probably have a Prestolite distributor if your car was built in Brampton Ontario. They are a good distributor but last time I checked getting very expensive to buy parts for. You could probably use a new condenser but anything after that I'd be looking at a Petronix upgrade. If you still have the tag on the distributor you could contact a Petronix rep online and find out the correct P/N. Something in my memory says 1362 but make sure first. My bet if it doesn't run good change the condenser.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic