TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

cost of paintjob

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2018 at 6:11pm
I've seen some high priced paint jobs that looked excellent when they were completed.
No wavy bodywork, slick paint,  but give it a few years,  and it looks like crap.

One of my old customers just bought Chevy panel delivery ,  supposedly changed hand a few years ago for close to $80,000.  I found it on UTube, from 7 years ago,  looks beautiful on camera. 
 But now the paint is full of tiny bubbles, and shrunk primer, and a few chips, with some covered rust reappearing .

Very likely somebody fixing it on a deadline,  ( like a lot of the TV car reality series) piled the primer on with out giving it time to dry,  and didn't have a good moisture removal system.
Plus they maybe just covered some rust with fiberglass,  but it still active from the back side.

I know a lot of body men,  some measure their success by how much they make a year,  others measure their worth by how perfect their work is and how long it lasts.
Telling them apart takes times,  and one of those you don't want working on your car.

The main reason I no longer give long distant estimates is I can't begin to count the times I've been asked to quote a price on a car with just a few minor dings, and absolutely no rust.   But have it turn out quite a bit different when I see it in person.

Edited by tyrodtom - May/26/2018 at 6:17pm
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2018 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

I've been a bodyman for over 40 years, (I seem to say that a lot, don't I )
I would never, EVER, give a estimate without looking at the car in person.
No pictures are good enough for a real estimate to mean anything either.

So i'm certainly wouldn't second guess another person's estimate, especially without even knowing the labor rate.

AMEN - but that price is #%#! cheap, IMO. I have way more than that in my baby Eagle and I did all the prep myself - they only sprayed it.
for my 70 Javelin - base/clear - the materials were TWO GRAND alone.
We have no clue what is involved - repairs, rust damage, current paint - will it need some stripping or not, etc. My Eagle was so bad as far as chalking paint, there's hardly any factory paint left on it - was afraid it would not make a great base for a new finish. that's a ton of LABOR.

I can tell you this-  without seeing your car - only a really cheap shop here would talk about painting base/clear for under 6 or 7 grand - and because of that the price bothers me. If you said "how does 8 sound" - i'd be more like Tom's response - because at least then i'd see it as realistic for a car that needed zero and I mean zero rust repair. 
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2018 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

I've seen some high priced paint jobs that looked excellent when they were completed.
No wavy bodywork, slick paint,  but give it a few years,  and it looks like crap.

One of my old customers just bought Chevy panel delivery ,  supposedly changed hand a few years ago for close to $80,000.  I found it on UTube, from 7 years ago,  looks beautiful on camera. 
 But now the paint is full of tiny bubbles, and shrunk primer, and a few chips, with some covered rust reappearing .

Very likely somebody fixing it on a deadline,  ( like a lot of the TV car reality series) piled the primer on with out giving it time to dry,  and didn't have a good moisture removal system.
Plus they maybe just covered some rust with fiberglass,  but it still active from the back side.

I know a lot of body men,  some measure their success by how much they make a year,  others measure their worth by how perfect their work is and how long it lasts.
Telling them apart takes times,  and one of those you don't want working on your car.

The main reason I no longer give long distant estimates is I can't begin to count the times I've been asked to quote a price on a car with just a few minor dings, and absolutely no rust.   But have it turn out quite a bit different when I see it in person.

You are nailing it.
You've seen pics of my Eagle and know I did all the prep and they did some final blocking and a bit more with primer in a couple of spots - but mostly they sprayed it...........
I took it back for a major ding on the hood where a truck tossed a rock at it. The owner walked out and asked me "what's it been now, two years or so"? 
I said yeah, at least that.
He said he loves seeing their work years later........ and commented on how perfect that Eagle still looked - he was pleased, I'm pleased, my work and their work has held up nicely.
It was sprayed just weeks before the Kenosha reunion before last years - what would that put it at??
Cleaned up it looks like a new car

Most good shops will never spray a car someone else has done, or complete someone else's work - but he had seen some of my stuff (and I pleaded enough)
He told me my car was the one and only time they had ever touched a car someone else had worked on the body on. 
So if a shop says "yeah you get it ready and we'll finish it - well............ there's good reason the shop I deal with even originally told me "no". Paintng a car is one thing - PREP is the key, IMO.
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2018 at 6:26am
thank you gentlemen, this car really does have ZERO rust. 79 Spirit D/L, 232/auto. 51k  original miles on it. The paint is original, and is worn through in spots. I purchased it a few years ago with 36k miles on it.
This REALLY was the car that belonged to "the little old lady" that almost never drove it. I purchased it from her estate after she passed at age 87. I don't think the jambs, etc will need repainting, just the exterior. thanks again, gz
george z
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic