TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1959 196 ohv rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2018 at 1:04pm
I have tried rocking it, hitting it with a block of wood and a dead blow hammer. It is very tight. My wife says I lack finesse, so I am afraid of using anymore force and maybe causing damage. I will poke around maybe someone has a home version in this forum. I got good momentum going would like to keep it going. I hope this is the first and last time I pull the steering wheel in this.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2018 at 1:15pm
When you get it off, use a little never-seize on it when you install it.  It will come off next time.  Good luck.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2018 at 6:02am
The recessed hole where the bolt that holds the steering wheel on is threaded inside. It's standard fine threads for whatever the size is. IIRC a piece of threaded pipe the right size will just catch 3-4 threads. You can weld a nut inside the other end of the pipe and grind a carriage bolt down a bit around the head to fit inside the pipe so the rounded end is against the steering shaft. Double nut the end that sticks out so you can turn it down against the shaft. Of course you have to remove the horn wire first -- it unplugs near the gear box and pulls out from the top. Once3 the wheel is off the box and steering shaft will pull out from the bottom. Should be able to get it out without pulling the pitman arm, may have to loosen some other things to get it out. Will have to jack front of car up. 
Frank Swygert
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2018 at 6:09am
By vacuum motor I assume you mean the wiper motor? There is a universal electric wiper kit that's pretty easy to install, but does take some work. This can be set to move the wipers side to side or to/from each other (just flip one of the pivots on the cable).  Motor can be on either end, but most mount the motor on the passenger side somewhere. Price on these has come way down! Used to be you could get the vac motor and fuel pump rebuilt for about the same price. That is still a good option. Unless you plan on using the car as a daily driver where it will see all kinds of weather I'd just get the vac motor rebuilt. A "juice can" vac reservoir between wiper motor and engine is usually all you need to get through the occasional rain going to a show. Might have to slow down a bit pulling hills, but wipers shouldn't stop.

Frank Swygert
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2018 at 6:11am
For posting photos see http://theamcforum.com/forum/how-to-post-pictures-on-the-forum_topic8119.html.  I don't think you can do it directly from your phone, unless you log into the website from your phone and can attach a photo. Otherwise just e-mail the photo to yourself then post from a computer. 
Frank Swygert
Ohm View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2018 at 7:46am
Thanks farna. She is going to be a daily and will be tucked away during our lovely new england winters. I was looking at the cable driven system. I am sure it could be done with a little work and swearing. But I was hoping that newpprt engineering has a direct bolt on. I am going to make a tool to pull the wheel I am going to take a peak today. Engine bay has been cleaned sanded and painted, it looks great, minus some bumps from the pollen.

Edited by Ohm - May/24/2018 at 8:47am
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2018 at 11:48am
Newport does not have one for your year, I looked.

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
Ohm View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2018 at 11:52am
Not on the site. I called and have to send pics and dimensions. He seems to think a nash motor conversion might work. I will update when I hear back.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2018 at 6:23am
Except for the mounting plate the 41-48 Nash motor looks like it might do the trick, if you have a 58-63 American. Not sure about the big cars, sweep is a bit bigger, but might just be arm length. If you could locate an old motor to send them that would be best. I'm sure someone has a bad one they would part with. I might for the 61-63 Americans, but may have trashed them last time I cleaned up...
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic