TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Matador Windshield Compatibility?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blk69stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Matador Windshield Compatibility?
    Posted: May/21/2018 at 11:32pm
Hi all!

I'm trying to source a windshield for my '78 Matador wagon, and I'm coming up empty.

First off, if someone has a source for a reasonably priced replacement, I'd love to know where to look; all the AMC parts houses don't seem to list it, and Pilkington Classic doesn't offer a replacement either.

That said, I'm looking at alternatives. Since the Matador is based on the Ambassador and Rebel, I started looking for windshields for those cars. I actually found a late 60's Ambassador windshield at Summit Racing for under $100 shipped, so I'm hoping it might work.

From what I can tell, the Ambo and Rebel use the same part number for windshields. So does the 71-73 Matador. But then it appears that the 74-78 Matador calls for a different part number. Does anyone know if the 1st and 2nd gen Matadors have windshields that are the same size and shape? I'm hoping the difference in part number is just due to tint or thickness, or something stupid like that which I don't care about. All I want is a windshield that isn't cracked, I could care less how it looks.

Anyone have any insight, or an interchange manual they could check?
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2018 at 11:41pm
The Matador coupe is it's own breed. It's windshield interchanges with nothing. I believe that's what the '74-'78 refers to.

The wagon should, by all technicality be able to use an earlier windshield. It's still the same platform as the '71-'73 Matadors and Ambassadors.  I do not believe the 2-doors and 4-doors use unique pieces of glass either. Since it's essentially the same platform, the 4-doors & wagons from '71 through '78 should share the same piece of glass.

Much like the Hornet, Gremlin, Eagle, Concord, Spirit, Kammback all share the same piece of glass. If AMC didn't have to change anything- they wouldn't!
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 5:01am
67 and up regular big body cars: Rebel, Ambassador, Marlin, Matador should all take the same windshield glass with the single exception of the Matador fastback coupes.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
blk69stang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blk69stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 8:37am
OK, good! That's what I was hoping to hear.

I know that the coupes are a different animal entirely, but that's not an issue for me, I've got a regular 4 dr wagon.

Here's a link to the W/S I'm looking at:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pkc-400053920

It says it fits 67-73 Ambassador 2-door 'verts. So going to RockAuto's website, they show the 67 Ambo Vert using the same W/S as the 2- and 4-door sedans (part number DW00684N). That part number W/S is listed as fitting:

Ambo 67-73
Marlin 67
Matador 71-73
Rebel 67-70

All of them use the same green/blue tinted windshield with a shade at the top.

But then in the RockAuto catalog, they list a different W/S for the 74-up Ambassador and Matador (part number DW00830N). That one is available with the options of clear glass, or green/blue tint with the shade. What I'm *hoping* is that the difference in part number is due to the optional tint, and not due to shape.

So before I pony up $100 for glass (and $500 for frame straightening work), could someone who is able take a tape measure to both a 2nd gen Matador and one of the earlier big body cars as well? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pkc-400053920 - Pilkington Classics Ambassador Convertible Windshield at Summit Racing</a>

Edited by blk69stang - May/22/2018 at 8:44am
blk69stang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blk69stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2018 at 3:50pm
*update*

I just spoke to a very knowledgeable gentleman from Partsseekers.com and he stated that while the first-generation and second-generation Matadors have different part numbers for the windshield glass, the only difference is the rear view mirror mount. He was very confident that the only difference is that one has the rear view mirror button glued on the windshield and the other does not.

Since I could care less about that one minor detail, it looks like the inexpensive $100 windshield should be able to get me back up and running. Once the car gets back from the frame shop, I'll go ahead and order the Ambassador/1st Gen Matador windshield from Summit Racing and I will let you all know how it fits.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2018 at 6:25pm
That makes sense. I takes someone with actual knowledge / experience of the windshields and/or the cars themselves to be able to identify the differences when they're not pointed out in the parts manuals.
Mirror mounting button kits with the plate and the adhesive are sold at most auto parts stores for a few bucks should one be needed.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
Jeepn_girl View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepn_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2020 at 10:35am
Did you go ahead with the windshield replacement from Summit Racing?
Did the new glass fit like it should?
I'm about to fork over $750 for a custom made windshield, but if the Summit one works, I'd much rather use the rest of the money for other parts...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic