TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Clutch fan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clutch fan
    Posted: May/20/2018 at 12:08pm
Can I put a clutch fan on a stock 232? This is for a 66 rambler. I'd rather have a clutch fan than electric and anything is better than the stock arangement. Worried about clearance. I will be using an aftermarket aluminum radiator. Gonna add AC and I want to add a shroud. I will probably make the shroud myself out of aluminum if there isn't already something out there that works.

Anybody done anything like this?

-Tom
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2018 at 7:51pm
A clutch fan, if you find one that fits is actually much better then solid or flex for cooling so go for it. Shroud is essential for any fan to work so your on the right road for my two pence.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2018 at 9:02pm
I bet you can find a shroud that would work.
AMC used clutch fans on the later 258s so there's hope.

Clutch fans work on heat - flex fans flatten out with higher RPM and are not dependent on heat or vehicle speed.
It's a misnomer that they save once you hit highway speed as how do they know how far the car is moving or how hot it is.
OK, granted it's assumed higher engine RPM means higher road speed - but not always.
Not a flex fan fan - although that's what is on my 73 now, I'd rather have something else.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2018 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

I bet you can find a shroud that would work.
AMC used clutch fans on the later 258s so there's hope.

Clutch fans work on heat - flex fans flatten out with higher RPM and are not dependent on heat or vehicle speed.
It's a misnomer that they save once you hit highway speed as how do they know how far the car is moving or how hot it is.
OK, granted it's assumed higher engine RPM means higher road speed - but not always.
Not a flex fan fan - although that's what is on my 73 now, I'd rather have something else.
be careful. The later 258s both had v belt AND serpentine belts. I've had 3-4 258s that were in the early 80s...all of mine were surpentine belts, the fans and water pumps rotate opposite of the V belts....
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2018 at 7:53pm
hmm sounds like this maybe uncharted territory. I might have to put this on the back burner until I have the drive train back in the car. Just trying to hunt down the parts as I work on this beast. It seems to me from some research that some 70's jeeps had a 258 and a clutch fan with a V belt. 

-Tom
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 12:21am
all i can add here is, don't use a used clutch fan. they wear out, and can be hard to diagnose. as they age they slip more and more.

keep in mind they do not improve cooling. the best they do is save a tiny bit of energy. it may not be worth the bother. a good big fan and shroud, and a good clean radiator and non-collapsing hoses. in other words, all ordinary parts but in top-notch condition will probably be more than adequate.

electric fans, i know you said you want to avoid, are also not automatically great, unless it's adequately sized (eg. LARGE) and fitted well, air-flow-wise, to the cores.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic