TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Junkyard swap options for column shift cable?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Junkyard swap options for column shift cable?
    Posted: May/20/2018 at 2:30am
I've got a Gremlin with a 904 and removed the rod/bellcrank column shifter linkage because I need/want/prefer to use a cable shifter. I've seen the conversion kit options out there, but would prefer to stick with parts I can pull from the yard or get at a parts store (but I don't have a problem with fabbing up levers if I need to, and I'd be perfectly happy with it being a part from any domestic make). The challenge I'm running into is kind of in the realm of figuring out where to start, since I haven't done this kind of modification before. Here's what I think I know needs to be done so far:

Measure overall travel of column lever (from the linkage connector hole) from Park to 2, compare that to the same for the transmission lever to confirm the travel is 1:1. If so, that distance should determine the stroke length the cable will need to have.

Because I'm neurotic, I'd probably verify the distance between each shift position/detent to make sure that's consistent as well (though I'm sure it should be).

Has anyone done this kind of modification before that wouldn't mind sharing some tips and tricks gained from their experience? When I searched the forums, I only found discussion around using the conversion kits. Knowing and alternative parts that are more readily available (if such a thing exists) would be a godsend, but any helpful info is welcome.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2018 at 6:37pm
I would have left it alone. You are going to be doing all kind of stuff to get it done....in the end you'll probably wish you had left it alone. You'll have to make brackets on both ends probably your best bet is to look at a dodge Dakota, Durango, and full size dodge trucks for the cable.... to possibly work. Maybe a Chevy truck cable might as well. A simpler solution is lokar or speedway.
knobbler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2018 at 9:44pm
Well, I didn't get rid of it or anything, so it's not as though there's no going back. There's just a number of other things I'm doing that are impeded or outright impractical to do with the original linkage in place.

I had been thinking about Jeeps with the RH/REs, but of those options, the yards near me seem to only have Grand Cherokees. I hadn't even thought of checking out any Dodge options. Thanks!
I'm looking into that now.

I guess another option may be to see if there's anyone I could trade the original linkage to for one of the kits, since I have a spare; I just don't want to swap something that's already hard to find a replacement for with something that may be even harder to find some day down the road, y'know?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic