TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1st gen V8 electronic conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willclassic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st gen V8 electronic conversion
    Posted: May/18/2018 at 9:18am
I am wanting to convert the distributor on my 1960 Rebel 250 V8 to electronic.  I purchased a kit from Summit by Autowire, but it turned out to be for Delco distributers, (GM style).  Summit is having trouble figuring out what I need.  Has anyone out there had any luck with this.
Rebel327 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2018 at 8:46pm
Replace your dizzy with a Delco unit and install the 1181. They work great.
willclassic View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willclassic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2018 at 1:17pm
What p/n delco do I need to look for?
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willclassic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2018 at 6:42am
Ok. It took my slow mind a while. AMC went to Delco after 62. A simple look at the parts books gives me the right numbers.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2018 at 7:07am
Or you could go online to Petronix and have a rep set you up with the right unit.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2018 at 10:34am
Per the '64 Classic/Ambo TSM the 10 series V-8 and 80 used a 1111025 Delco-Remy distributor.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
gryzynx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gryzynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2018 at 6:24pm
My Canadian production 64 327 Ambassador used a Prestolite distributor. I have a Kenosha built parts car and it has the Delco distributor.

AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willclassic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2018 at 8:30pm
From what I have been able to find out, Delcos were used in all first gen v8 except 60 and 61. Those years used autolite for some reason. My 60 Rebel with the 250 had autolight, and my 61 Ambassador's 327 has an autolite. I was never able to find anyone that would admit to makng an electronic converson for that particular autolite, so I found a new old stock Delco at Kennedy and converted it. Works great!
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2018 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by gryzynx gryzynx wrote:

My Canadian production 64 327 Ambassador used a Prestolite distributor. I have a Kenosha built parts car and it has the Delco distributor.

I have found other differences - it seems Canadian built cars in the 60s used Prestolite alternators as well, instead of Motorola. Maybe there were export things involved, whatever........
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic