TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 Ambo front brake and suspension questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imacarfan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 Ambo front brake and suspension questions
    Posted: May/15/2018 at 10:16pm
Doing some front brake and suspension work on a 68 Ambassador 4 door and need some help. 

First off, I'm checking the front suspension and want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. I know on the later model (read: non-trunnion cars) that you put a piece of wood under the upper control arm to check the ball joints. Do you do the same thing on a trunnion car? So far I've jacked up the front end and did the side to side thing with the tires to check the tie rods, pitman and idler arms, and the front wheel bearings. Aside from one side having some slight bearing movement (not that it matters as I'm switching to discs with new bearings anyway...see below), all else seemed tight. If I check the lower ball joints and trunnions and they seem tight, should I just grease it up and run with it? I've started buying some of the front end parts, but it might take a little while to get all the parts (and it might be a little pricey!). If everything seems tight in the front end, should I be okay until I'm ready to rebuild it?

Next, I'm converting the front drums to discs. I have a complete setup off a 77 Sportabout that I'm going to swap on. My question is on the master cylinder. I found the correct disc brake master cylinder for my 68 and bought it. My question is, will this work with the factory drum brake booster? Any issues I might run into like the brake pushrod being too short or too long? Anything else I'm missing? What about the proportioning valve?
67 Ambo conv
68 AMX
68 Ambo 4 door
70 Ambo 4 door
(2) 71 Hornets (1 SC/360)
73 Hornet 2 door
77 Matador coupe
77 Sportabout
78 Concord 2 door
81 Concord wagon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic