TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Eagle A904 transmission problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2018 at 10:59am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Originally posted by carnuck carnuck wrote:

Well Bill, since it’s an Eagle, it has to be minimum 1980, and the 6 cyls got 998, which is lockup capable and they did run lockups with the 4 or 6 cyl, but they really weren’t ready for prime time. The 999E (aka 32RE) used much later than Eagles (‘93 up) with Electronic controlled lockup were better. They improved the front pump and converter design (round tube shaped billet neck brazed into the torque converter instead of the notched tube style drive on earlier ones that cracked and dumped mega amounts of Dex ATF, usually after a new rpm related vibration shows up in 904 or 998.
   TJs and YJs with 4.0 and 2.5 ran the better trans, if you can find one, all the way to ‘99. The 4 cyl had enough length for AW4 but the 4.0 needed more room or zero lift due to short driveshaft. (Yes, I know we’re talking Eagles) I thought maybe the gear selector stuck internally or the fried clutches are trying to move it alone. (I even had the 727 in my J10 do that due to lack of maintenance and excessively torqued loads without a cooler.)
   If someone messed with it before and didn’t leave space for band engage/disengage then the clutches will fight it. If the If the first gear piston seal is weak, the clutches burn up from slippage.

If the shifter lands between first and second and the 2nd band is too tight, the clutches can fry. (AMHIK).

If the valvebody has an extra checkball, things operate wrong.

It’s not:
unmatched axle ratios, which would take longer and the viscous coupler is taken out long before affecting the trans.

Not dragging brakes.

Previous owner messing with the valvebody. (1 Check ball in wrong place. Happened long ago when someone added one and I didn’t notice.

Baby 904 is small bell on 2.5 60 degree and SBC 2.5L pattern Iron Duke Eagles (which went away in’83)

People mistake 904 and 998 with 999 if they aren’t in the “know”. Baby 904s, used in Mitsubishi and RWD Dodge Colts and pickups with small motors.

Keep in mind Eagles are what I do - I've owned five and worked on more.
What I said can be verified if ya don't trust a professional trained and experienced and having done it for a living for a few years.
First, NO, AMC did NOT use lockup converters in the 4 cylinder Eagle. PERIOD.
For lurkers and others here - you can verify what I say in multiple ways - first is the AMC TSM, next is the Eaglepedia, then there's allpar, and other resources.
AMC used three converters in Eagle - 
Conventional non-lockup with the FOUR cylinder engine
Lockup high stall
Lockup low stall, these last two with the 258
The little 904 isn't just another Mopar in that it's a lot smaller and uses a smaller and different pan gasket. 
Again, how do I know this? Maintaining a 1982 Eagle SX4 with the iron duke and making two trips into town for the correct gasket because my stash of 727 and 998 parts and gaskets didn't work.
I call it a baby 904 because the store did when they found a footnote in their books and shrugging and going back and looking again instead of saying "oh, then this will work" like they did at first.

Anything I've said can be verified and looked up if you don't trust over 4 decades of transmission and other auto work.

So please don't give me that -
>>Well Bill, since it’s an Eagle, it has to be minimum 1980, and the 6 cyls got 998, which is lockup capable and they did run lockups with the 4 or 6 cyl,<<
Good grief, you think I have no eagle experience or haven't rebuilt transmissions professionally or been factory trained (because I have)
Frankly, I take offense at the comment as written - I'm not a beginner and you don't have to explain Eagles to me - I know 'em inside and out. 

I really like 1970390AMX's approach a whole lot better-  professional, asking all the right questions, etc.

We don't have all of the information, either - it's a rebuilt transmission - is it an original Eagle transmission properly rebuilt with NO lockup converter since AMC did NOT use them in Eagle cars??
Or is it a core someone changed out the tail shaft and other goodies to try to make an Eagle transmission?
Year?
Since they say 904-  then I know it's a 4 cyl, but then are they correct in it being a 904 - and the correct 904 for Eagle?
Trust me, they ARE different. 
Yes, it's a mopar transmission and yes the clutch and band operation are the same - but if they tried to use wrong parts in it, if they went to the parts store and bought a kit for it - it may not be right because those little ones used behind the Pontiac engine are different in AMC.

I'm done with this topic, you can mess with it, or with luck, 1970390amx will stick with it and get it resolved correctly, without a lot of guessing. I don't need to be talked down to or smacked around as if I have no Eagle experience and no automatic experience.

By the way, I DO have books loaded with all of the hydraulic system info, troubleshooting and more - from college and from AMC if 1970390 doesn't, but I bet he does as well.

If I dont know about something on these cars, I take the time to look in the TSMs. The baby TF with the 4 cylinder will be smaller so it will stall higher...but I know most people dont understand stall speeds either....and it makes perfect sense that they dont have LU.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2018 at 11:04am
Ive never seen a baby TF. I learned something new. Ive been around these 904s,998s,727s.. interesting. I know the 6 cylinder Eagles, used the 998.
gui67 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gui67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2018 at 1:07pm
Hello,
Thank you for the different answers,
Sorry, I have called the transmission a 904, it is a 998, with a 6 cylinder.
I opened it, checked everything, the play... then I put on the car again and it was the same.
After that I bought a valve-body, changed it and the car drove fine again, with all the gears.

So I think during the rebuid I did something wrong with the valve body. there was a shift kit included in the rebuild kit, maybe I did not put the ball at the correct place or I drilled the wrong hole or???

But now, the car is running fine again.
Thank you for the time you spent to answer my questions
Guillaume
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic