TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

coil spring tool

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sixbangr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: coil spring tool
    Posted: May/13/2018 at 4:41pm
I have the one that i bought here for the small car a few years ago. I am now doing a '63 Ambassador. What is the difference in length between the 2 tools?  I figure i can change the hook piece if I have the distance between the hooks, thanks
past owner of 19 Ramblers/AMC's

US NAVY '66-'70
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2018 at 9:31pm
I don't have the measurements right off - but have the original tools so could measure them if I remember to do it!

sixbangr View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sixbangr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2018 at 3:25pm
that would be great

past owner of 19 Ramblers/AMC's

US NAVY '66-'70
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 7:16am
Length isn't the biggest issue. The 63-66 cars are TIGHT in the upper part of the spring tower. The hooks made recently are mainly for American/JavelinAMX, and they work well with those, but are too bulky to fit in the spring tower of the 63-66 big cars. I use flat straps (1/2" wide x 1/8" thick) with hooks bent on the ends. I just measure between the holes with the car sitting on the wheels with engine and trans in, then bend the hooks on the ends of the steel bars, making them 1/8" - 1/4" less than my measurement. You can then pull down (or have someone lean) on the fender and hook them. Disconnect shock, jack up car, take off wheel, and pry suspension down (it usually won't drop all the way, but shock needs to be disconnected, sway bar also if you have one) to take out spring. As long as the seats are parallel, spring wasn't canted in car, they will stay put. Do be careful as the compressed spring will hit anything with considerable force if it does come out.  Almost gave myself a heart attack when I dropped one pulling out once. Only fell about a foot, but hit at an angle on the spring seat. No, it didn't come out or even budge, but I didn't know it wouldn't and wouldn't count on it not happening in any case.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic