TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Opinions on Coil Springs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2018 at 7:50pm
Bounce is 100% shocks and nothing else at all. If you put good new shocks (key word - good) on it it would not bounce and you'd likely lose the mush.
Can't judge springs at all by bounce.
A car with new springs will bounce with bad shocks (been through that in recent times)

Need to go only by ride and height, - and discount any bounce as that's the sole job of the shock - just like a capacitor in an electronic circuit, the shock stops the oscillations natural with springs.
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2018 at 8:08pm
Thanks again, Bill.

Damnedest thing is I *know* I've been told that multiple times in the (semi-distant) past, but between being away from turning wrenches for almost 10 years, and a bad migraine today, I brain farted.

This pic (one of the first I posted of the car) would SEEM to indicate the ride height is about right (just eyeballing it).  Ergo I guess the springs are OK.

Always nice to save a little money, LOL
1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2018 at 9:29pm
i do not know how, or if, AMC specified "ride height", but you can do a simply suspension geometry check with a tape measure and the car sitting on the ground: on the lower suspension arm, the height off the ground of the center of the ball joint, and the height off the ground of the inner pivot (bushing/bolt) should be equal, or very likely, the inner arm higher than the ball joint height.

the height off the ground of the ball joint center is determined by wheel and tire. the spring is pushing the car up, and determines the height of the rest of the car.

i suspect that new the the factory the inner pivot was about an inch higher than the ball joint -- but that's just a guess. it is certain that it should not be lower! that's my main point.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2018 at 3:23am
My old Plymouth Duster was the only vehicle I recall that had a ride height spec for alignments.  Supposedly most cars do have a factory ride height spec though.  It's just a matter of finding the info, which is often only in alignment guide / spec books.  Yeah, migraine is mostly gone so brain is working again, LOL.

In this case though, my previous comment was a "general eyeball" check.   Car does't look like it's been lowered, all corners at roughly same height, etc...

Good info on the suspension geometry check though, Tom.  That I can check.  I already know from the ride quality, condition of the wheels, and the excessive camber that the suspension geometry is pretty out of whack though. LOL

TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2018 at 9:48pm
Excessive camber and bowed coil springs when unloaded could also be worn trunnions. Since the car is (only) 54 years old, you might check the trunnion bushings & bearings as well as the upper and lower control arm bushings. I've found a wide range of conditions on 68/69 Javelins & AMX's from surprisingly good to trunnions bushings that were mostly dust. Trunnion rebuilding isn't difficult, it's just different. When restored with new bushings & bearings, the trunnion cars drive as good as when new. Easy steering, no wobbles or clunks, Rambler quality suspension for the DIYer. And don't forget to check the coil spring isolators, they also deteriorate with age. Like us!
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2018 at 2:30am
Originally posted by TX390AMX TX390AMX wrote:

Excessive camber and bowed coil springs when unloaded could also be worn trunnions. Since the car is (only) 54 years old, you might check the trunnion bushings & bearings as well as the upper and lower control arm bushings. I've found a wide range of conditions on 68/69 Javelins & AMX's from surprisingly good to trunnions bushings that were mostly dust. Trunnion rebuilding isn't difficult, it's just different. When restored with new bushings & bearings, the trunnion cars drive as good as when new. Easy steering, no wobbles or clunks, Rambler quality suspension for the DIYer. And don't forget to check the coil spring isolators, they also deteriorate with age. Like us!

I'm figuring it is the trunions, TX.  The bushings are dry rotted to heck, but none are actually wobbly loose yet.  Ergo the Trunions are a prime suspect.  At this point I've factored in a full replacement of all the bushings, replace the trunions, and yes the coil spring isolators too.  :)

I'm just glad it doesn't look like I have to add another $600 for four new springs as well.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic