TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

64 American 220

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDS111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 64 American 220
    Posted: May/08/2018 at 8:23am
Good Morning All,
                             The front turn signals do not have removable bulbs?

rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2018 at 10:00am
They most certainly do.  They're probably corroded in their sockets.  Try disconnecting the battery and try spraying a little WD-40 or the like in there.  Once you get the bulbs out make sure everything is dry before inserting new bulbs which are 1157's.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
itzamario View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itzamario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2018 at 6:22pm
I have a question, if someone could help.  I am about to buy a 1964 Rambler American.  I want to put a new engine and automatic transmission in.  I'm having trouble with my research.  I would love to know which engines will fit and what the best one to choose.  I want to go as small as possible as it will be my daughters first car. If anyone has a recommendation or advice on where to look, research, or purchase, that would be great for me.  Thanks.  
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2018 at 11:07pm
water gets in them, and after half a century, all of the metal in the sockets and lamps becomes one. it can be quite difficult to extract them. haven't done this for a while, but abandon any idea of removing the bulbs in the ordinary way (push with fingers and turn).

i would remove them from the bumper, break the bulbs, soak with WD40 as rockandrambler suggests. i had to extract them with 8" needle nose pliers, extracting corroded brass in bits.

once emptied, sand it and clean, but now the metal is corroded. the "trick" for longevity is to pack the cleaned out sockets with vaseline or or silicone grease, then insert the bulb. it's not very good at preventing electrical contact but is excellent at repelling water.

50 years is a long time!

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

KDS111 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDS111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2018 at 6:34am
Thanks for the suggestions.
Where is the fuse block/Flasher located?
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2018 at 6:50am
Fuse panel at the upper left side under the dash. Flash is a two or three pronged ( I forget which.) can under the dash. It may still be clipped into a bracket near the rear of the instrument cluster. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic