TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Where have all the distributor vacuum diaphragms g
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Where have all the distributor vacuum diaphragms g

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikouj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where have all the distributor vacuum diaphragms g
    Posted: May/06/2018 at 6:18am
The vacuum diaphragms used on the AMC 6 from 1978 on with the motorcraft ignitions as well as many Fords were produced by the tens of millions.  Now they are not available anywhere that I can find. 

the diaphragms used on the AMC 6 produce 24 degrees of vacuum advance (.200 - .210 arm travel).  I think that is way too much.  I have another unit that produces only .12" travel (14 degrees advance).   It's range of operation is 6 - 16 " HG, and no longer adjustable because I backed out the adjuster too far and can't get the adjuster restarted.  With the Isky 270 cam, I carry only 11-12" of vacuum in 5th gear at 2000 rpm cruise.

About a year ago I searched Summit racing for a new one and found what I needed.  I didn't order it at that time though.  Lately I went back to get it.  Those diaphragms have now been delisted and uncatalogued.  I tried the motorcraft main website; nothing there either.  I head off to my local NAPA shop.  The online inventory finds zero.  The old parts books behind the counter list about 3 pages of suitable vacuum diaphragms.  The difference between them (for mostly Fords) are the number of turns out from index.  Checked every one of those part numbers against their computer database and they are all N/A.

How could something this common and necessary disappear?  The nearby boneyard has a half dozen Eagles and such so I can go there but I'd rather buy a couple new ones.  What am I missing?
Raccoonman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 2:09pm
depleting ageing inventory and dropping little-used (and therefore, non-revenue generating) parts is the maker's answer. I also credit them with the back-handed method of denying us wear-and-tear parts that will put our cars in the garage permanently sooner or later. Elsewhere a thread asked about the tension springs in Trico wiper blade arms; not what many people might think a critical part, but try to get your car inspected (and therefore, road legal) without wipers. Sealed beam headlights have been a constant target for elimination for a dozen years or more.... if not for the muscle cars, we might not even have those. Points ignition parts are dwindling as well. Now, one might think that keeping these parts available is in the best interest of the parts companies, but as I stated, they're generally loss leaders in sales. Holding obsolete parts costs the suppliers and retailers in space and money. The mail order and online discounters may be our last hope for a long time. I seldom even BOTHER to hit one of the local parts places for anything other than filters or oil, for several reasons. One; they don't stock parts for old cars UNLESS those parts happen to be used on MODERN cars. Two; the greater portion of what they DO carry is offshore crap. Three; the staff is simply not learned in older vehicles and I wouldn't expect them to be, really, since there's so many newer vehicles to keep track of. It's not quite that we're "on our own", so to speak, since so many of us carry a great deal of knowledge around in our little gray cells; it's just that we need to acknowledge that the modern era parts store isn't the same place as it once was.....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic