TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

amc 20 twingrip tore down

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2018 at 7:21pm
The trouble with master kits from companies like Yukon and US Gear is that they use GM size pinion shims that go between the pinion and pinion bearing, instead of under the pinion race.  They don't have the correct diameter shims for under the race.  That makes every shim adjustment a press removal/install of the pinion bearing.  I've done it, but I don't like it.  Maybe someone in the US can receive the Ratech set and send it on to you?

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
jeanbonjeanbon1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeanbonjeanbon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2018 at 8:09am
hi, tuf cj you convinced me so well that i used two days  to buy ratech parts and  even got a sister and a nephew to help me with shipping but companies that don't ship Canada usually use paypal wich i also use but for canadians paypal won't accept to ship to a different adress than oursConfused

After looking so many sites i finally found an ebay site that sells ratech kit and Ebay accepts to change the shipping adress. I finaly ordered today what i was ready to order last friday. That story is just to let you see what we face here. thank you for your help Thumbs Up
Regards,Jean
BBBQ
Big Bad Blue Quebec
Amx 1969
F150 2013
crv 2016
roadstar 2003
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeanbonjeanbon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2018 at 6:27am
Seems an eternity but finally i get back to my twin grip. Summer work, bike, pontoon fixing and enjoyingLOL, all bearings pressed (timkens) and ready to check and adjust tolerances.
I don't intend to change gears 13/41 as 3.15 is ok for me and they're nice. I think i will remove the carrier gear to check the preload adjustement and fit my gear pattern, is it necessary? I think the results should be very close to what i removed since same gears and pinion shims only new bearings and seals am i right?
I'll install pinion with new bearings and same shim thickness .097(multiple shims Wink ).
I'm not an expert on rear ends so i'd like to know if i need a case spreader (i could built my own one). I removed the carrier with a pry bar quite easily. Will beat the shims in at the end will be easy with brass hammer or punch?
I got the tsm and will try to follow the book as far as possible

Edited by jeanbonjeanbon1 - Aug/11/2018 at 6:30am
Regards,Jean
BBBQ
Big Bad Blue Quebec
Amx 1969
F150 2013
crv 2016
roadstar 2003
Airdrie AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airdrie AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2018 at 10:30pm
Install the pinion with the new bearings and crush sleeve and set the pinion preload, you will need an inch pound dial torque wrench for this. Since you are using the same gears and shims you shouldn't have to adjust shims but I always check the pattern anyway, especially with multiple stack pinion shims I prefer a solid shim but you use what's available. Be certain you have the correct one piece carrier shims on the side they came off originally and don't try to hammer them in after the carrier is in place. I place the carrier shims in the bearing saddles then put the bearing cups on the carrier bearings and as it is lowered in position, tip the cups in to get them started between the shims. A few taps with a dead blow hammer will seat the bearings as the cups slide down and seat on the bearing cones. With a new gear set install I will set carrier bearing preload also but since you are not changing the gears and are using the original carrier shims I would be comfortable skipping this step, just my opinion.
72 amx javelin 401 4spd
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2018 at 11:06pm
You asked way back about the left hand thread bolts to hold the twin grip unit together. I had a twin grip unit that was missing those and they were the largest nightmare to find! I could not find them anywhere and no one seems to make them. My final solution was to buy the left hand thread tap and then get some long shank grade 8 bolts and have a machine shop cut them down and then rethread them. The originals had the threads rolled in rather than tapped, which is about 5% stronger, apparently. Only the 390 twin grips had the left hand thread bolts and I have no idea why. Mine has lasted with no problems at all for thousands of miles and several trips to the drag strip, so they seem ok. 

Chris 
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2018 at 6:16am
You do NOT need a case spreader....
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeanbonjeanbon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2018 at 8:57pm
this forum is so helpfull  i couldn't imagine i could find as many answers here .
yesterday and today were two thirty degrees days so i got my bike riidng 1300km but tomorrow i'll work in the morning on the carrier and pinion bearings replacement, i'll probaly work as Airdrie stated  and might check  a last time if i can get a one piece .0097 pinion shim. 
ccowx you're right the lefties where a pain and i finally got 8 grade 8 bolts left threaded by an experienced machinist and i used only three. I checked all of them closely and only three needed to be replaced so i got five left. I asked two machinists to do the job and paid twice but one of the sets didn't meet my expectation
thanks Mat coupe i'll try to slide the shims in first as airdrie said to avoid building a tool that i'll probably never use after my job is done (That what i hope anyway)Wink
Regards,Jean
BBBQ
Big Bad Blue Quebec
Amx 1969
F150 2013
crv 2016
roadstar 2003
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeanbonjeanbon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2018 at 6:37pm
well as evtg seems to be trouble some i finally got evtg in place but lot of surprises happened like the carrier bearings were replaced with new (exact same replacement timkens) 

i checked for the side play and finaly ended up with thw same amt of shims but found out that there was no preload so i had to find different shims to get the exact .008'' preload in the carrier. Had to move the shims in the kit to get the correct backlash .008'' backklash very hard to me to get parts fast

the shim on the pinion was made by a machinist here and worked out nice and the pattern turned out centered.

The pinion preload is 22 inch pound as desired

My rear end is really fine painted and i went back on it  today to fit the axles and found  that after pressing the bearings and throwing my axles in that the left one is aqlmost  flush with the axle tube and does not protube from the tube as supposed is this normal?????. I palced a .010 shim and get a .004'' shaft end play(tighter limit in the tsm) so i was wondering if i could use  1976jeep axle shims  that i'll probably find easier here in.003 increment or if it is correct to make my own out of shim stock?

In resume this particular axle had .080 axle shims on the left side originally and i can't see why. I end up needing a .013'' to thre right clearance. This could explain the rotational play i found when dismantling, didn't check the axle end play before so !!!!!!. I'll see if it still there when i'm finished but for now it seems to be gone.
there was also no backlash  and no carrier preload so I'm happy i jumped in. Thanks for your time reading that long story  ihhihihihGeek

Regards,Jean
BBBQ
Big Bad Blue Quebec
Amx 1969
F150 2013
crv 2016
roadstar 2003
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2018 at 7:50pm
AMC20 bearings and seals for a Jeep CJ all the way through 1985 will fit.  I found that out after the local Auto Zone special ordered outer axle bearings and seals.  None of it fit because their book showed AMC15 parts, even for an AMX.  Being a Jeep guy, when I returned the wrong parts, I took the old seals and bearings, and asked them to look up Jeep CJ.  They were all the correct parts, and they had them on the shelf.  So much for waiting a week for special orders that are wrong.

.004" is the tight side of end play.  The TSM calls for .004-.008, since you have new bearings, I wouldn't worry about being on the tight side.  The clearance will increase a bit as the bearings seat in.

Glad you're getting it together.
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeanbonjeanbon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2018 at 12:33am
i have noticed that the the outer seal exceeds inside the backing plate a few thousands so  as i hammer blow the shafts to seat the bearings they will contact the inside seal lip instead of the back plate.

I figure that it's done on purpose but it's kind of surprising to me that it's not the metal that locks the cup bearings movement. could somebody explain to me why???? 

I  could put a shim outside the back plate and before the outer seal to get the seals really flush but not shure if   it 's a good thing The back plates are from an Arizona car and are not rusted or altered in any ways so?????? confused cause if i check the end play with the rubber seal i got to be shure i don't put to much or enough pressure as a matter not to disturb the seal?????Wacko 
Regards,Jean
BBBQ
Big Bad Blue Quebec
Amx 1969
F150 2013
crv 2016
roadstar 2003
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic