TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Distributor wiring on 73 Javelin AMX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackAMXPC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distributor wiring on 73 Javelin AMX
    Posted: Apr/30/2018 at 1:30pm
Hi, I'm new to the forum and member of the AMO South Carolina chapter. My problem is this: I'm going to be installing a new distributor and will eliminate my coil. I realized that I have two yellow wires that run from the coil into a wire harness on the right fender. Does anyone know where they go? BTW The distributor being installed is HEI. And got some input regarding to a resistance wire.

Edited by BlackAMXPC - Apr/30/2018 at 5:58pm
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2018 at 1:38pm
There is a thread on wiring. Here is the link from it.

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/AMC/1973/Service/index.html
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2018 at 5:36pm
Yellow from ignition switch to the I terminal on the fender solenoid.
There is also yellow to voltage regulator. There is a pink resistor wire in there that the yellow is connected to. I believe that joins at the I terminal on the solenoid.

My advice - wrap up the yellow, leave it alone.  If you mess with it you may have issues you didn't expect.
If you are going to use HEI, you need a full 12 volts anyway so don't want to use that yellow wire to feed your new distributor.
Unless the instructions state to use the original, do not. And if it's HEI based on the GM design, you want a new lead with no resistor, for full system voltage. 
BlackAMXPC View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackAMXPC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2018 at 5:41pm
I have the whole manual on CD. Not the exact help I'm looking for concerning proper upcoming install of the HEI distributor.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2018 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by BlackAMXPC BlackAMXPC wrote:

I have the whole manual on CD. Not the exact help I'm looking for concerning proper upcoming install of the HEI distributor.

Well, my schematic was helpful for my HEI wire up, and change out for a modern alternator.

Connect a 16AWG wire from ignition switch to the coil, with an inline fuse. As long as there is power when the ignition switch is on, your HEI should function.

You can connect factory wires as if there is a factory distributor, with your ignition feed wire from the ignition switch on position, it will bypass the resistor wire, and keep your wiring intact.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackAMXPC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2018 at 6:16pm
Thanks 304 dude, will keep everyone posted.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2018 at 6:20pm
You can buy connectors that will split off a spade type connection into two.
I've buy one, slip it on the IGN feed from the fuse panel, put the yellow back on, and use that second connection to feed the HEI - bypassing the yellow with resistance wire connected.

Go to a shop like Menards or Walmart or similar and buy one of these - that will allow you to keep the original wiring in place and run a new wire to your HEI, bypassing the yellow and making it so if in the future you get old and want to put the car back to how it was, you simple remove this and the new wire you ran and put your old distributor back.
So for a few feet of 16 gauge wire and one of these terminals, you can connect a second lead to the IGN feed from the fuse panel, and not worry about being complicated.

AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackAMXPC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2018 at 12:11pm
Hello my AMC friends,As of now my new distributor installation went perfectly and she runs great! Now, on to another thing that I'm going to post separately. Bit I want to thank those who helped. Check I out the new post.One in this forum and other in engine repair and modification.

Edited by BlackAMXPC - May/10/2018 at 12:14pm
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackAMXPC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2018 at 8:32am
Guess that post didn't make it. Anyhow, this has to do with my temp gauge and or sensor. I get no reading at any time. Don't know weather sensor is bad or dead gauge. Would like to hope it's the sensor. Which I'm wondering what is the reading for a temp sensor? Most of the parts on the car are the ones that were there when I bought the car last year, if that helps
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic