TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

what gas to use

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 11:36am
A lot has to do were you live also. A high volume station will have "fresh" gas that has little chance of separation/moisture absorption even if there is some ethanol in it.
Dry climates are better the wet.
Name brand stations are typically more reliable for consistency then off brand, but if you know their supplier it they may be fine.
Almost a crap shoot in some areas and if you get a suspected bad fill, don't go back, drive it until it's gone. Doesn't take long with a heavy foot!
Some stations only have two tanks and the "mixed" grade is done at the pump. You can get real lucky here if they put in more premium!

BDCVG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 7:42am
Puregas.org is a great app to find non-ethanol quick. Google "top tier gas" and You get a list of companies that consistently pass quality standards for fuel.
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 5:20pm
A cheap additive is Toluene, but it can be rather
hard to ignite on a cold day or if you add to much.

It's 110 octane, in my experience adding it at 10:1 is effective
and cheap.

It never failed for me but I had a 13:1 compression + motor.

In 10 gallon quantities it's about $5-$10 per gallon if you can find it.
Gremlin Dreams
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2018 at 1:02am
Fill it with whatever the standard premium pump gas is in your area. 

-Might have to jet the carburetor ~3% richer. Ethanol makes them leaner. 

-You should have already replaced your 50 year-old rubber fuel system components, but if you were lazy and did not, do it now. Ethanol will kill old rubber, but not new rubber.

-Run it often enough that the gas in the tank does not absorb moisture. Ethanol likes to absorb moisture. If you live in a dry climate, the gas will stay good for 3-6 months. Driving your car frequently is good for it anyway. Consider this more motivation to do so. 

-Run it until the valve seats wear out, if they wear out before something else does. Then either do a complete valve job that includes new hardened seats or a complete engine ebuild, because odds are it's due for rebuild anyway. 

TEL is gone and I am glad it is gone. I spent whole days of my life chipping, chiseling, and grinding the lead deposits out of engines that ran on leaded gas their whole life. It was hard on spark plugs too. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic