TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Fuel Tank Filler Neck

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Tank Filler Neck
    Posted: Apr/26/2018 at 3:20pm
Thinking of putting the spare vented neck I have on my new repro tank. I've been soaking it for a few days in Evaporust and it's fairly clean. My question is what to do with the vent nipple?? My car does not have a vented tank - or the system for it. I could easily solder up the vent and be done with it but I'm wondering if anyone has thought of a good alternative? I do not want to go the route of installing a a full OEM vent capture system but the thought of having the tank vented is somewhat appealing. Was thinking about maybe a roll over valve? Thoughts??
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2018 at 6:51pm
I would cap it and use a vented gas cap. Why make a simple system complex?
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2018 at 8:38am
That's probably where I'm heading but it would be nice to have the tank vented. It builds up a good bit of pressure sometimes. I just don't want some elaborate system. A roll over valve would be good as it would allow the tank to vent and yet not let fuel escape on hills, hard braking / accelerating etc..
Only issue is where to put it. Simple install would be in the trunk but I'd really like to keep the fumes outside.
On the cars that used the vented neck, how did the line coming off the neck run? Was there a hole above it going into the trunk?

Edited by Bandana - Apr/27/2018 at 8:48am
hatzie View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2018 at 8:04pm
A generic 3 hose charcoal can isn't complex at all. 
Vent line to the tank, ported vacuum to the purge valve, and purge hose to the PCV connection.
It keeps the garage from smelling of fuel.

Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2018 at 9:02pm
What? Take the fuel smell out of the garage and all you would smell is beer and beer farts..Wink

Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2018 at 12:21pm
Learned something that might help others - the gas tank caps are not physically interchangeable between a vented and non vented filler neck.... The vented cap will only go on a neck that doesn't have the vent nipple.

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2018 at 9:31pm
Unless you find an old locking gas cap that will fit both but has no vent. Lesson learned - "what could possibly go wrong???
Beer farts - running too rich!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic