TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

removing rear deck panel behind seat...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: removing rear deck panel behind seat...
    Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 12:42pm
for speaker installation......
73 Javelin - 
What is the best and easiest way to remove that panel behind the rear seat so I can access the holes for speaker installation??
That part of the car is actually about the best condition of any part of the car - mostly stock, mostly correct screws, only a couple screw holes messed up but I can fiberglass that.
So to minimize damage, and make it easier, what has to come out, and what comes out first to slip that faux wood panel out for speaker mounting in the holes below?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 12:52pm
Those things are a weak pressed cardboard. Thick but after years in the back they decompose a wee bit.

It is safe to remove the rear seat back, yes trouble with front seats being in the way if already installed.

Once the rear seat back is out. It should slide out from the plastic panels, as each panel has a grove where the edges are held in place. You want some thing like to slide the shelf panel onto so it won't sag as much as it will in your hands. Mine was perfect until the slotted segments broke out from flex. Though you can glue them back using Goop E6000.

Edited by 304-dude - Apr/23/2018 at 12:55pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 12:54pm
Bill,

If no one has messed things up you have to pull the rear seat bottom first and then the seat back. Once you do that the rear shelf panel slides out. The panel sits in slots around the parameter of the package shelf so you have to pull it towards the front of the car before you can lift it. The seat back acts as the retainer to prevent the panel from sliding forward on its own. If the worst happens the vendors sell replacement shelf panels or you can make your own.

Ken

Edited by pit crew - Apr/23/2018 at 1:00pm

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 1:02pm
Good - I was hoping I didn't have to remove the side panels and all that stuff. I did remove a few screws and took off the top interior trim along the top of the rear window because it needed repair but the seat will be a whole lot easier than those panels.

Thanks
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 6:29pm
Geesh, doing this brought back a whole lot of decades of memories. I've done this soooo many times over the years why did I not remember how to pull those? Seriously?? I drove a Javelin and other AMCs for years, as well as having installed speakers for others (brothers with Rebels and Javelins)
Anyway, I feel really embarrassed.

So, I said "faux wood" but in my case, it's REAL WOOD! Yeah, plywood, believe it or not. Apparently the PO found the original in bad shape and he made a replacement. the vinyl is coming loose at the edges but it's good enough for now I'll just glue it back down and use it as is until I pull the back seat again for new fabric.

You may notice an "oops" here - yeah, I mis-measured and bought 6.5" speakers, a bit too large for these holes (what was stock, anyway??)
So I had to mark and cut the holes larger. Actually, it takes a while so I only got one cut/enlarged today. The other I'll do tomorrow, then cut the wood panel to match and put it back in and drop the speakers into place.

So, in case I change my mind (since I have a ton of speaker grills for Eagles that APPEAR to be the same bloody grill used in javelins) - just in case, what size speaker was used in the doors??

Marked to cut......... it's a slow and noisy operation and you want to wear a mask in that CLOSE area...
Optical illusion - the hole mark is actually centered but at this angle with the Nexus as camera, it makes it look way off center.

This one is now cut to handle Alpine SPE-6000 speakers - 

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

You may notice an "oops" here - yeah, I mis-measured and bought 6.5" speakers, a bit too large for these holes (what was stock, anyway??)

So, in case I change my mind (since I have a ton of speaker grills for Eagles that APPEAR to be the same bloody grill used in javelins) - just in case, what size speaker was used in the doors??
The rear package shelf had 6 inch speakers and the doors had 5.25 inch speakers. The door had a sheet metal bracket for the speakers. Watch your depth on the doors. It is very tight and you would have to go with the shallow type speakers. That is why I suggested a dual voice coil speaker in the dash over cutting in to the door panels and chasing down shallow speakers.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
JeeperJolene View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeeperJolene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2018 at 5:24pm
Stupid question: How does one remove the rear seat bottom in a '73 Javelin?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2018 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by JeeperJolene JeeperJolene wrote:

Stupid question: How does one remove the rear seat bottom in a '73 Javelin?

Take your fingers and try to shift under the seat at the wire frame, towards the back of the cushion, with a slight lift. The seat should pop out of the hook at the side you started on. Then once one side is released, do the other, and lift and slide towards the front of the car.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2018 at 6:46pm
Earlier Javelins ( and AMC big cars from 67 up ) used a very odd size 7" round speaker with an asymmetrical positioning of the 4 mounting holes. The OEM speakers were made by Heppner who closed down years ago. I think the later models had the same basic stamping in the rear deck but the speaker opening was resized to the American standard of a 5-1/4" speaker using a pin cushion style frame. Should be able to rework for the popular 6-1/2' size.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic