TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My '64 Rambler Classic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2018 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Oh, one more thing! I suspect the pistons that use the same rings are equally hard to find/expensive. You might check though. If piston pin height is close you might be bale to mod one (offset bushing in rod or piston pin hole?) to work. Don't know what that might cost though, might not be worth the effort. Bushing for pin size wouldn't be an issue though.

As it is, I was just venting.  It's frustrating when the costs are spiraling out of control on what SHOULD have been a cheap, easy resto.  I started out with a great looking body and paint job.  Interior was 70% of the way there too.  Constant delays with the machine shop and finding parts...

When all is said and done, I'm going to have spent more on parts than I did for the car.  Yeah that happens with alot of restos, but again this thing started in good shape.  The whole convoluted mess has just been really demoralizing.

It's staying as AMC as it was when I got it; about 96%...  The notable exception being that I'm going to have to nuke that headliner with some paint to cover up the water stains.

Edited by rms827 - Jul/07/2018 at 5:52pm
1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 12:18pm
Well, as cars get really old parts start to get scarce and more expensive as demand drops. The Gen1 AMC V-8 went out of production in 1967 or so (a few were made after 66 for warranty purposes). 50 years ago!!  Try buying pistons for something like a straight 8 Packard... or even Nash!
Frank Swygert
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 9:06pm
We'd just be running around in circles if I repeated myself on the "are the parts truly that rare, or is nobody cross referencing them?" issue.  I respect yah too much to sound like I'm arguing too. SmileThumbs Up

Parts issue aside, I had to step back and do a self check on the whole frustration issue.  It's really a combination of several things.  First I'm mad that I missed that obvious small rust area in the trunk, and the blown head gasket.  Car ran great though during the test drive and for the couple of weeks I had it before I spotted the issue.  Still, I did almost 3000 vehicle inspections during my time with CarMax and prided myself on catching things like sludged engines and similar easy to overlook stuff.

Supply and demand... covered already.  Frustrating though when I *think* I'm ready to start on a certain part of the car, but then I'm stuck searching for days for a part (or paint) that I still turn out to need.  Sad part is since the AMC parts market is essentially a shared monopoly, there's little incentive for parts suppliers to perform.  Look at the complaints about BullTear.  Kennedy, I've been trying for months to get to answer emails.  I love Galvin's and they've gotten a TON of business from me, but they don't even have the pistons on their site.  They carry them though. Ermm

Well, cutting the rant short, it's just constant delays and more money but literally next to no progress though.  Every time I turn around it's more money, a longer wait and no work.  ANY meaningful progress would be a godsend at this point. 

So would my back NOT constantly going out trying to work on the car.

1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman
ereeves77 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ereeves77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2018 at 8:46am
Do you still need pistons? Six out of eight I have are good. The other two not so much.

Edited by ereeves77 - Aug/17/2018 at 1:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic