TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Steering and Brakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 2:54am
Started out with a longer post here, but I felt I started unintentionally sounding preachy also.  Anyway, in regards to the earlier posts, I just hope everyone will keep in mind there's a difference between a well meaning lecture and one that's deliberately degrading or insulting.

I was an automotive technician for 16 years with 5 ASE certs (now expired), and I tended to get gently preachy with some customers too, but only because I understood the long term implications of some of the things they'd tell me they wanted to do.  I was trying to keep them safe and/or save them money and headaches down the road.

That said, BillD pretty much nailed all there is to say on the technical advice. 

The only other thing I'll add (without getting into a long rant about the little details that make a quality brake job) is to replace the springs every time you replace the shoes.  You can't see heat fatigue in their metal.  It's a better safe than sorry thing. ;)
S Curry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 8:37am
Sorry if I was blunt...lots of good advice on this site. Get 'er fixed and start enjoying the ride.
SC
Jjtxaz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jjtxaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 9:12am
No hard feelings at all S curry. Ramblers running just needs little things checked off or adjusted and shall be my daily. This weekend a little busy but I'm gonna try and make time to replace the hardware and some shoes I got when I bought the car.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic