TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

73 Javelin heater connections

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2018 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Fluffy73 Fluffy73 wrote:

If your car is an original Non-A/C car, then there is no heater valve.  It runs full flow coolant through the heater core at all times. 

And yes, the insulation goes between the firewall and the heater box.

So it was supposed to be like a "seal" between firewall and heater box?\
You saw mine? there's no way it could be all the way around the opening - I must have some missing.
Great........ now something more to find or figure out!!!

Was it a molded hose between rear of intake and the heater core? That would be a sharp bend for the short hose from manifold fitting to heater core unless the hose had a molded 90 degree bend near the core end.

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 8:23pm
The defroster cable that moves when you move the lever to defrost has a slotted end at the heater box end and is about 18.5" long. The other 2 cables on that lever both have round wire ends. The one on the left is about 20.5" and the one on the right is 18.5" long. Hope that helps.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 8:58pm
Yup - very helpful.
I got the heater core installed in the box, foam insulation adhered in spots I thought it belonged and the heater box in the car. I actually installed the bolt in the far right end - the bracket that went to the body.
When I pulled tings apart originally there was no bolt or screw there, not sure there ever was one, but it needs it as otherwise the box hung so far down below the cowl area there was a huge gap. Now with some foam there and the box pushed up and a screw put into that bracket to the car, it sits up higher and the foam for the most part closes off that gap between heater box and the air intake area.
It was a mess inside - pine needles, dirt, yuk. 
CHAR View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2019 at 4:52pm
Did you ever get your heater assembly sorted out?  Im disassembling my 72 A/C Javelin interiors right now do fix the WeatherEye cables and the jacked up wiring the PO installed for his ghetto stereo, and I have the same gap between the heater box and the cowl.  Almost an inch, and the box is still tight against its mount points.  There is evidence of a foam gasket that has long since disintegrated, and the heater box on my Boss 302 was the same.  it had a thick, 1" tall loop gasket that when around the perimeter of the box where it met the cowl and fresh air came right over and thru the core. 

Ive yet to get into the vacuum system, but there is a line from a intake manifold fitting, thru the firewall close the the speedo  and into the cab to a tree that services the main air flap that lets air up into the upper dash duct work while the A/C is on.  It also looks to feed(suck) the heater valve.  I want to see about getting it all working again or ditch it and switch it all to manual cables, but aside from parts, it looks simple enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic