TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

American Performance Billet Flywheel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: American Performance Billet Flywheel
    Posted: Apr/11/2018 at 9:05pm

This is a billet steel flywheel I bought for my 343. This summer I hope to get a T5Z transmission installed.

Looks pretty spiffy. I don't know how the width compares to a stock flywheel - hopefully the same. Man would it suck to find out that's not the case after putting everything together. Jerry at American Performance said everything's matched exactly to original specs. Even the balance - he said I could bolt it on to any factory 343 and go. I'll have it match balanced to the flex plate to be sure, though. He has flywheels for all the AMC applications. It weighs 35 lbs.

Edited by 67 Marlin - Apr/26/2018 at 4:44pm
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2018 at 10:22pm
That looks like a nice piece, but how is the flywheel centred, it appears to be designed to fit the raised ring on the later crank and not the original 343 flat crank?
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2018 at 10:30pm
The early crank flange is 4.5 inches in diameter and the later raised ring one is slightly more. I guess just enough bigger that late cranks can't physically mate to the early flywheels. The early crank centers by the flange sitting snug inside the recess on the flywheel. This flywheel fits snug on the early crank. If it was the later flywheel, it would be a little loose on the early crank. Well, I think so at least.

Edited by 67 Marlin - Apr/11/2018 at 11:03pm
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2018 at 11:35pm
Good call, forgot about that, I’m thinking flex plates.
kenoshakicker View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenoshakicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2018 at 3:29am
I got my early 360 flywheel from Jerry.  When I got it I saw that the crank side had a recess in it like my original 1973 360 flywheel.  I called Jerry who then called the manufacturer and he told me the guy who makes them puts a recess in all the AMC flywheels he makes.  I am pleased with the flywheel and there is no vibration.
POWERSTROKER7.3 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POWERSTROKER7.3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2018 at 9:09am
I bought one for my 401 from summit racing 2yrs ago, took it a shop to see if it was the same balance as the original one. He said it was spot on, installed and no vibrations.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic