TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

65 marlin (new to me)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2018 at 9:12am
Yes; that one is an early '65 (Kenosha built) ...I had another '65 built at the Brampton plant in Canada. -They both had the 'machine turned' dash inlays -never seen one with wood grain styled dash trim.

All the dealer item accessories are shown in the AM dealer accessory booklet; these pop up for sale on eBay every now and then also.

There's one reclining seat support bracket for sale on eBay right now:

httpswww.ebay.comitmAMC-NASH-RAMBLER-RECLINING-SEAT-SUPPORT-BRACKET-1950S-1960S201798089554hash=ite

(bracket shown is upside down)

-The prongs insert easily underneath the rear seat, where the rear lower seat location/mounting points are. The rubber coated end is the part the front seat back rests upon.

-To lay down the seat, remove the headrests (if so equipped, simply lay them in the rear floorboards) slide the front seat all the way forward, fully recline the front seat, gently lift up the rear seat about two inches & lower the front seat back down onto the brace, lower the rear seat back into position -this may seem wordy to describe but it's easy to do once you know how.

...apparently the front seat headrests were dealer accessory items and/or often dealer installed items and there are several mid-sixties Ramblers in John's Auto Salvage that only have a head rest installed on the passenger seat.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It may seem unbelievable, but the actual length of a Rambler Marlin approximates the actual length of Marlin fish known to exist in the ocean!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The two tone paint mimics the the two tone look of the actual fish.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John's Auto Salvage has two Marlin parts cars; a '65 & '66

(I bought all their 327 engines)

A 287 RV8 can be bored and stroked to make a potent 351 CID race engine.

Your '65 287 may have the most desirable Rambler V8 heads, with smooth combustion chambers/no recessed area between the valve seats and the spark plug location. -Someday, I hope, the higher performance potential of the Rambler V8 engine will become known and your heads might become the most collectable of them all for a high performance Rambler V8 race engine type build.

You may see more pics of custom made XRV8 Race Parts products on Google+

The engines are the heart and soul of these cars; that's a well designed excellent engine in your car.

443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
a075923 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2018 at 2:21pm
Thanks,

I appreciate any information on the Marlin in particular and Ramblers in general.  Once I get all the minor/neglected items fixed I think I'll do a compression test to see where we're at, then decide if freshening up the 287 makes sense or to get a 327 ready to drop in.  I'm sure at 98,000 miles the 287 could use some attention/freshening key parts.  Same with the transmission.

Thanks again,

Mike
a075923 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 11:10am
Hi Guys!!

After having the Marlin out for several errands yesterday; when I went to put it in the garage last night it would not start.  Turned over half a spin and then click click.  This morning put the charger on it for couple hours and still click click.

Got to looking at the battery and it is a 70 month Carquest group 24 purchased by a previous owner in 04/05.  Suspect we have got our moneys worth out of the battery  Smile

Went down to my local NAPA and purchased a new one; all is well in Ottawa, Kansas!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic