TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Removing Drip Rail Trim

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing Drip Rail Trim
    Posted: Apr/04/2018 at 6:24pm
Anyone have a good method for removing the drip rail trim on a 69 440 Rambler? Not sure how it is attached and don't want to damage it. Thanks.

Edited by LakesideRamblin - Apr/04/2018 at 6:34pm
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2018 at 7:28pm
Same as an AMX/Jav.  I use a hardwood block maybe 3-4" long (hardwood flooring works well).  Windows down, work from the inside.  Start at one end.  Place the block against the bottom edge and tap with a light hammer.  Don't try to pop it off in one pass, tap - move, tap - move.  It may take 3-4 passes over the full length to remove it.

When you paint the vehicle, keep the paint VERY light on the rail, or you won't get it back on.  I was able to reinstall with just the palms of my hands while wearing mechanics cloves.  Hitting it with anything WILL dent it.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2018 at 7:43pm
Since this has been one of our recurring and most popular topics in the body area, i did a fast search (literally, I have thirty seconds invested so far) and came up with........

And a few others but stopped looking - so..........
I think sidewinder used bean bags to put it back on. I used oak cut perfectly flat and sharp to drive the trim off from the bottom. 
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2018 at 8:59pm
After removing the drip rail trim from 2 early AMX's for paint, I decided to leave the last one I'm doing alone. Since there was no color change, I carefully masked off the drip rail trim, sanded, primed and blocked as usual, had the car painted, removed the tape and Voila!, unmolested original trim. No dents, no hassle and with a little hand polishing, it looks great. I hand sanded the recess between the drip rail and the top with fine ScotchBrite pads, it took the primer/sealer just fine and the Matador Red paint and clearcoat look as good as the other 2 cars where I went thru the painstaking process of removing and re-installing the trim. The clearcoat thickness on my first AMX was enough to require some sanding before I could get the trim to fit again. My advice, leave well enough alone!
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2018 at 12:12am
Thanks Bob. That is what I needed.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
knightflight View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knightflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2018 at 12:28am
Hey Matt,
Just thought I would pipe in a bit on this. First off, these moldings were never designed to be removed. Technically, they were a one-use item because of the way they pinched the drip rail.. However, sometimes they do need to be removed because we know rust is present, etc. I have taken off more of these over the years than you can imagine. Yep, I learned the hard way many years ago. BUT, you can use a church key and I have found it works great if you are careful. It gives the best control as opposed to hammering them off. You may want to practice on a bad one at first.

If you tape the rounded end of the key with a few layers of tape you will protect the outer surface of the molding. Never use the sharp end. I take the key and put about a 30 degree bend in it folded back (and grind the sharp point back). It helps put the pressure in the correct position and helps to clear other parts of the car for easier removal. If you start at one end at the very tip and carefully ease it off, you just work the key an inch at a time to get it to pull off. When there is about 6 inches pulled off, use your free hand to persuade it off along with the key. It keeps the key from doing all the work and damage is way less likely. When it is off, if you have small marks underneath on the lower edge where you can see it took extra pursuation to get it off at from the hook of the key, just take a pair of needle nose pliers and squeeze those few points back flat again on that lower edge.

Considering the paint issue mentioned, I usually paint that area with one coat of paint when painting jambs or other 'firsts' with the paint. Then tape it off during the paint job.

Lastly..Always reinstall them with the palm of your hand, if at all possible. I've had a few stubborn ones over the years that will beat my hand up, so I use a small, soft rubber mallet if really necessary. I've never lost another battle since my first hard lessons dealing with these!

Just my own opinion..
Walt

'68 Rebel SST coupe. (X2)
'69 SC/Rambler (#7 on registry)
'69 Javelin SST Go-Pak 390-4 speed
'70 Rebel Machine 4spd
'72 Javelin AMX 360 ram-air
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2018 at 2:51am
Thank you, Walt. Great and helpful information.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic