TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

my 195.6 OHV state-of-tune

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2018 at 1:07pm
Tom,
The carbs are autolite 1100 and flow about 185 cfm.
The set up is progressive.  Running on the center carb until about 2500 when the two outer carbs kick in.
The flat plate manifold is drilled on an angle to direct flow, and centered on the ports.
Nick

Edited by nickleone - May/21/2018 at 1:11pm
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 12:26am
Originally posted by nickleone nickleone wrote:

The carbs are autolite 1100 and flow about 185 cfm.
The set up is progressive.  Running on the center carb until about 2500 when the two outer carbs kick in.
The flat plate manifold is drilled on an angle to direct flow, and centered on the ports.
Nick

oh that's yours! wow, that sounds well thought out. never heard of those carbs before. nice setup, and the progression is a great idea. that's a lovely build. you still driving it?

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 6:00am
The only issue with "centered on the ports" is the spacing of the ports. There are four intake ports. The ones on each end feed only one cylinder, the other two feed two. When I ran two carb I put about 1/3 of the carb past the twin ports toward the ends. Don't know if it helped or not. That intake flows pretty well, so it probably didn't matter. You won't have a problem unless one of the outer carbs gets plugged/partially plugged (main jet). Likely less of a problem than two carbs. I had an issue with the rear carb (turned out to be a size or two smaller jet, not plugged!) and burned the rear piston -- leaned out. Took several weeks of daily driving to do it. I doubt you will ever have an issue unless the linkage gets way out of adjustment or one of the carbs does get plugged somehow. Looks good, and I like it! Mine was a bit more cobbled up. Intended to clean it up, but found a good WCD and pulled it later instead. Of course twin carbs have to both idle, the three progressives is better. Did you plug the idle circuits on the end carbs?

I don't mean to sound critical of your setup -- looks great and obviously runs well.
Frank Swygert
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 12:21pm
Tom,
The engine is out for a T5 trans replacement.
We almost made it to the 2017 Hot Rod Power Tour when the NEW throw out bearing went.
Outer carb idle circuits are plugged.

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 9:42pm
well the two paired intake ports are, well, paired. the ends are alone. it appears that nick's setup spaces them about right. it's I ee II ee II ee I  it looks like the carbs are centered over the exhaust ports (spacing-wise). that's probably good.

nick, bummer about the TO bearing. you going this year?

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2018 at 6:05am
Upon second thought, the three carb setup is probably better than two carbs as far as spacing on the 195.6 OHV. Looking at the graphic representation makes it a lot clearer than just visualizing. I was thinking more of my thought process on how to space twin carbs... 

Hope the 5 speed gets installed in time for you to get to a couple of the venues this time Nick! I'm going to meet Tom between Atlanta and Darlington (my house!) then continue to Darlington with him, skip Raleigh, and go to the Charlotte finale. Both those locations are 2-2.5 hours from my house (Raleigh is around 4). At least two early Ramblers will participate!

Mine is really more of the modern era, I consider "early" as the first AMC generation, which still had some vestiges of Nash in them. The 63 big cars were the "reboot" of AMC into the modern era, though the 63-66 big cars and 64-65 American are sort of transitional models. Some old still there (195.6 L-head and OHV, torque tube, non-synchro manual trannys), but the all-new modern body stayed with the big cars (with modifications along the way) until the last big sedan/wagon in 1978 (excluding the Mat Coupe, which was an almost entirely different animal... body shared little with the sedans).
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic