TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1955 Nash Missing Packard V8

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17thielc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1955 Nash Missing Packard V8
    Posted: Mar/27/2018 at 10:15pm
Ok I have a 1955 Nash ambassador custom, and it is missing the engine and transmission. I would like to keep the original torque tube and suspension. There is a 1966 Marlin V8 and transmission for sale near my area, but I don't know if it's compatible. Any info would be greatly appreciated, it is a good body with little rust if any and I would like to keep it AMC. Thank you!
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2018 at 6:00am
I think you may be in uncharted waters here. Since the engine and Packard UltraMatic are gone, you can only measure and/or guess. If you can get the measurements between where your "NEW" side engine mounts will go and the flange on the torque tube, AND if the transmission-to-torque-tube bolt pattern is the same, you may be OK. I'm guessing the 287/327 Marlin engine will be comparable in dimensions to the old Packard V8, because AMC stuck the similar-dimensioned 250 V8 into the '56 Wasp and Statesman bodies and called them Hornet Specials and Ambassador Specials. Which, IMHO, makes the length of the BW auto [I'm assuming it's an auto] the biggest question mark.

You should be OK, because as I recall, the Hornets and Ambassadors had a longer wheelbase than the Wasps and Statesmen, and the difference was between the firewall and the front wheel.

Edited by Buzzman72 - Mar/28/2018 at 6:04am
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2018 at 12:12am
i'm wondering what effort level you're expecting. there may be enough "shared DNA" for your swap to work, but nothings going to bolt in beyond whatever was in there originally or one if it's direct compatibles. even lowly AMC evolved parts over time.

it seems unlikely that this will be a "bolt up". i'd guess that fabrication will be required -- mounts, crossmembers, exhaust, cooling system, wiring, throttle linkage, driveshaft lengths (though what Frank says; you may be lucky there). is track the same, 55" or so?

much of that work is standard stuff; brakes, throttle linkage, shifter linkage, wiring, etc. that's common and expected even in "bolt in" swaps (eg. 70 232 six into a late 60's Rambler, sort of thing). it's rarely bolt-in, purely.

assuming you're comfortable with the work, i have no reason to think otherwise, you might just yank out the donot driveline, prop it up beside the 55 Ambo, and get out the tape measure and pad of paper.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2018 at 7:11am
Yeah, you're going to have to go take some measurements and look at the way the torque-tube mounts to the trans. I know the mount between TT and trans is different, you will need a pre 62 model. Maybe a 58-61 Ambassador? Those were only 117" wheelbase though, so I doubt you can use the TT. The TT may mount the same as the Packard did though. Since AMC had to have a TT adapter made for the Packard Ultramatic trans, I would assume they used the same type connector as their other cars. That doesn't mean that the driveshaft yoke will fit though. Unless a different length output shaft was needed for the Nash cars, I'd assume it would be the same spline as other Packards. If the yoke is like other single u-joint Rambler yokes, it pull off the front of the driveshaft. Hmmm... that's on the six cylinder cars with a solid shaft -- the V-8 cars used a tubular shaft or a two-piece with the front tube/rear solid (I think the two piece was only 63-66), and the yoke may not slip off the front.

You might get in touch with the Nash Car Club of America (NCCA) and see if anyone over there has done this kind of swap. You really need a 57 Ambassador to swap parts from -- that would be a bolt-in. The 1956 Specials were the shorter wheelbase Staesman/Wasp platforms with Ambo/Hornet trim. They were a bit lighter than the longer wheelbase bodies and better suited for the 250 V-8. Note that the wheelbase difference between the short and longer bodies was all in front of the firewall, interior of cars weren't bigger. The 55 Special hardtop was 300 pounds lighter than the Ambassador 8 hardtop (352 straight 8). The Ambassador 6 sedan was about the same weight as the Special hardtop, I have to think that straight 8 was most of the weight difference, they couldn't have saved much weight by using the shorter wheelbase bodies!
Frank Swygert
17thielc View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17thielc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2018 at 10:03pm
Thank you all for the responses, this car really means a lot to me. I plan to get some measurements and possibly spline count this weekend and hopefully pictures of what I'm dealing with. I have decided to email NCCA about my problem. I'm open to any other ideas, but I would like to keep it Fully Nash/AMC. I posted this on another forum and they wanted me to put Lincoln suspension in the rear, but i would like the suspension as stock as possible.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2018 at 6:36am
Even if you have to lose the torque tube you can make something similar and keep a lot of the original suspension. A torque arm suspension with a positive holding joint at front would work. Not a lot of movement -- joint can be something like a strut rod -- just a bolt and two bushings. In fact, I'd use a late model AMC two piece strut rod bushing. The arm would just need a stud on the end, then a crossmember with a bracket. The existing trans crossmember is to far forward. With a slip joint in the front you wouldn't need to have the pivot right at the u-joint, but it would be best if close. The spring seats are just bolted to the top of the donor rear axle (Ranger or Explorer should be right width). Wouldn't be hard to make a bracket for the arm on some axles, not for a cruiser with mild power (like a stock AMC 327). You can use the torque tube trans. Splines and seal are the same as 67-71 open driveshaft trannys -- you just need one of those yokes and have a driveshaft made. Modify the original panhard rod bracket for the donor axle and keep it too.

If you don't use a torque arm you will need to modify the rear suspension more, either use a four link, ladder bars, or "tuck arms". Home made truck arms will have a similar look and feel as the original, taking place of the brace rods on the original axle in a way.
Frank Swygert
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2018 at 10:07am
For the cost of modification, why not keep it original:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-packard-patrician-Frame-And-Engine-/323135668740
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2018 at 1:12am
I suggest finding a wrecked Clipper or Packard somewhere and stealing the engine and drivetrain from it. The 320 was Packard's baby engine. They had a 352 and a 374 too. Some versions of the 374 made over 300 horsepower. Absolutely monster engines....like every engine Packard ever made.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic