TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Throw Out Bearing Retainer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throw Out Bearing Retainer
    Posted: Mar/20/2018 at 5:13pm
Looking at a couple of sites for parts to rebuild my clutch assembly and have a question. I notice most of the throw out bearings are listed with a sleeve. Is this "sleeve" the same as what some call the retainer?
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2018 at 5:47pm
No the sleeve is what the bearing mounts to. The sleeve is what rides on the bearing retainer and the fork engages with. Most modern throw out bearings the sleeve and bearing are one piece.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2018 at 6:17pm
The one I used on my Eagle SX4 I chose because I could remove the bearing, slip a spacer on, and then put the bearing back to lengthen the whole thing since the 4.0 flywheel sits further forward than the 258 did so I needed a bearing assy slightly longer to retain the geometry of the lever, etc.
The fork didn't engage with a sleeve - the fork pushed on a flat, square plate that had clips to hold it to the lever.
There may or may not be a sleeve - depending on design, etc.
Mine had a bearing and a plate, both splined to a collar or "sleeve" that rode the transmission's bearing retainer. The fork pushed the metal plate.
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2018 at 6:29pm
Thanks guys. I think I found the answer to my question after posting this. The throw out bearing retainer is called the front bearing retainer I believe. Is this correct? Seems like new ones are quite expensive at $195?

mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2018 at 6:40pm
I think there is a semantics problem here. I hope I can help clarify the terms. The Bearing Retainer is the "snout" that is on the front of the transmission and holds the input shaft bearing. The 'sleeve' listed with the throwout bearing is more properly called a "retainer". The throwout bearing is pressed onto the retainer which, in turn, is slipped onto the bearing retainer ('snout') of the transmission. The Yoke slips on to the retainer holding the throwout bearing and causes it to slide along the transmission bearing retainer to disengage the clutch. Clear as mud?
Mike
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2018 at 6:52pm
Well, AZ mud tends to be more red than Iowa mud which is usually black to brown..........
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2018 at 7:00pm
I think you cleared it up Wink. Now i need to find out from the fellow working on the car exactly what is cracked - is it the bearing sleeve / retainer or the snout / retainer..... Hopefully the sleeve but with my luck it will be the snout!

1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2018 at 9:28pm
two different sizes of retainer. The part that the throw out bearing slides over is bigger 68-69 than 70 and newer. Ones available are the 68-69 size, if working on newer car you will need to use an earlier bearing sleeve,
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
Petes Dragon View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petes Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2018 at 10:17am
Please help me I need a retainer for a 1970 AMX 390 would appreciate if someone would tell me where to purchase one. Thank you
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2018 at 6:47pm
Both APD and Kennedy carries a new front retainer. They run around $195.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic