TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 Javelin Glove Box Lock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote einbier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70 Javelin Glove Box Lock
    Posted: Mar/18/2018 at 2:28pm
Can someone tell me how to remove the glove box lock on a 70 Javelin?
I have a manual, must be doing something wrong I for sure don't want to break anything.

Thanks Jeff
1970 Javelin Mark Donohue
1970 Hornet Shirley Shahan
(Tribute)

1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2018 at 10:59am
I think the service manual is fairly clear. You need the correct key for it or its a pain. Looking in with the glove box open the assy has a hole you can see. using a small allen wrench you can push a lock tab in, you can feel it spring loaded. Putting a key into the lock at this point holds that tab depressed and the tumbler assy will come out. It takes the correct key to hold the tumblers out of the way, If you dont have the correct key it can still be done but is a fight to get each tumble depressed one at a time as you pull the lock apart.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
einbier View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote einbier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2018 at 11:19am
I don't have the key. Probably why i'm having issues. Thanks I didnt think anyone would answer.

Jeff
(Tribute)

ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2018 at 11:56am
I love 1970 Javelins dearly, but it ain't for the engineering on the dash, let me tell yah! I have fought this one myself, but patience will win out. Don't break anything!

Chris
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2018 at 12:40am
This what you are working with. The lower picture is the lock cly out of the housing, The upper picture shows the hole in the housing you need to work through, With the glove box open and the latch closed the lock tab is behind the hole, you can use a small allen wrench and push through the hole. You will feel it spring loaded. keep it pushed in and insert key, ideally it needs to be the key that the lock is keyed to. The upper picture shows an incorrect key inserted. it holds the lock tab in a released position but several of the tumbles are not held in. In my example the lock cly would come part way out at this time. working with the small allen through the same small hole I could press one tumbler at a time and slowly work the tumbler assy out of the housing. At this time it should be easy to have a lock smith cut a correct key for it.

t
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
einbier View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote einbier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2018 at 3:09pm
Thanks so much for the answers and posting w/pictures. Just returned from storage unit working on car. I'll have to wait till next weekend. But thanks again for the help. At least I know what to do now.

Jeff
(Tribute)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic