TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

rambler window setting seal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rambler window setting seal
    Posted: Mar/16/2018 at 8:22am
I am not seeing anyone who has these. Peter Stathes does not. What are you guys doing? The seal lips on mine have fallen off from age. 

It is the seal that the window is glued to and then the seal is glued to the metal channel that moves the window up and down on the side windows. 

The seal has big flaps on it that when the window is rolled up mate to the top of the inside of the door below the window sweeps.

I was thinking about cutting strips of 1'8" rubber and clamping it to the bottom of the metal channel. I would think that would help deflect most of the water. I'm assuming its just to keep water off the window regulators and door lock mechanisms.

-Tom
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2018 at 9:03am
My car has the furry seals along the frame bottom that really can never have kept the water out. Amazing the doors aren't rusted.
A wipe seal would be better. Peter has a selection of wipe profiles but couldn't tell me which might fit my 63, and I haven't been in the doors yet to take a look.

Seal that moves up & down? You've lost me there. On 60s/70s British cars there was sometimes a plastic curtain that moved up and down inside the door to keep the water off the winder & lock mechanisms.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
typhooner View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2018 at 6:33pm
The seal is there to keep debris and some water from falling inside the door. It is not a great seal and lets a lot in anyway. The drain holes at the bottom of the door drain off most of the water if not plugged. I believe most people just use the glass setting channel and go without the seal nowadays.
1969 Hurst SC/Rambler A Scheme
1969 Rebel Raider Electric Green    1962 IH/AMC SC/out
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2018 at 5:14am
Originally posted by typhooner typhooner wrote:

The seal is there to keep debris and some water from falling inside the door. It is not a great seal and lets a lot in anyway. The drain holes at the bottom of the door drain off most of the water if not plugged. I believe most people just use the glass setting channel and go without the seal nowadays.

Yes, but that's the furry seal on the frame, it doesn't go up & down with the window.

Ivor
Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2018 at 9:04am
I am not referring to the furry seals. I just bought enough of those for all 4 doors so now I guess I got to use them. I'm referring to the seal that is on the actual window raising mechanism between the glass and the mech. It holds the window on and it also has big flaps that raise and lower with the window. I think I will come up with something using sheet rubber to attach to the window maybe with a bunch of those big paper clips not sure yet.
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2018 at 12:52pm
Ahhh, that sounds like what we call a door curtain. Protects the winder mech & lock. A piece of plastic damp-proof membrane from a builders' merchants would do the job perhaps.

They are often thrown away when numpties get into the door.

Ivor
Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2018 at 1:58pm
Tom:

I'm looking for the same thing.  Did you ever find anything?  Don (Mixed Up) suggested the following companies:

https://www.steelerubber.com/

https://www.metrommp.com/

I'm getting ready to paint my car and want to get all new rubber for all windows, including the same rubber strips for the "channel seats" that the side windows sit in.  I have taken my parts car side windows out and they all had this rubber that fits in the "channel seats" for the bottom of the glass to snugly rest in.  They may have some that works good enough that the window will slide into on those seats.  It may not be exact but it seems to me that we need rubber to sit the bottom of the window into so that it does not flop around.  Not sure about "gluing" the glass into that seat channel.

Just thought I would share what Don mentioned in one of my earlier posts about glass rubber.

Matt
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2018 at 2:35pm
I think the original post was for the rubber that is in the channel attached to the window regulator, between the glass and its channel. Mine are ok for the channel area, but the flap that sticks out to close off more of the gap when the window is closed is cracked and failing. I have never found anything that will work other than rubber window setting channel without that flap. Since I have never been able to find them, I clean everything and then use silicone caulk or a good adhesive to glue the glass to the old rubber and the rubber to the channel on the regulator. It has to be good and dry before installing it in the car. Once I put rubber in the bottom of the channel to cushion the glass and filled the channel with silicone, then pushed the glass into it. After it dried I trimmed the silicone. It worked and never failed.

Edited by 6768rogues - Jul/05/2018 at 2:39pm
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2018 at 4:36pm
Yes, that is what I was trying to explain but not very well.  I was hoping to find the new piece of rubber for the channel that has the "wings" on them.  My "wings" are cracked and ripped, too.  Looks like a no go unless the two vendors I listed have anything remotely the right size and shape.  Thanks for explaining your method for water protection.  I figured while I had everything apart (a real fun experience) I would simply change out the old channel rubber for some good new stuff.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2018 at 4:51pm
Not available, I have found them anywhere. Mine were dried out and brittle with broken pieces so I trimmed it off knowing that the days of the car living an existence outside are over.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic