TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Alternator vs. generator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator vs. generator
    Posted: Mar/14/2018 at 5:35pm
My '59 Rambler 6 cyl has the GEN light on and for that reason I'm trailering it home.  Was hoping someone has already made a switch to an alternator and could post what kind you got and what you did for bracketry.
Thanks so much!
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2018 at 6:01pm
That's not the Rambler that came from the Pleasant Hill area is it?
I had my eyes on that car............

If you were closer to Runnells I'd say bring it over and I'd get you set up with an alternator on it........
(that's what I do...... alternators, generators, starters, etc. about 10 minutes SE of Pleasant Hill)

I'd shoot for a later model GM alternator with internal regulator - it would be a piece of cake to rig it in that car and wire it to run your light and everything connected like it should be. 
I used to convert tractors like the Ford 8N and others to alternator.

PS - moving this to the electric area since that is what it's really about.......
IowaTom View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2018 at 4:14am
Hey thanks for the reply!  I had to dig around to find my question and your answer.  Ha!

Would like to meet for a cuppa joe sometime since we live so close.  Crazy not to!

Come to think of it, I think I may have a refreshed GM one-wire alternator in a stash box and will look for it!  Thanks again!
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2018 at 8:27am
Please don't use "one wire" on it - I've got to run to a tax appointment in two minutes but there's several posts here explaining the "why not" things.

A standard GM alternator wired as GM intended is actually simple on our cars - and will operate the light, charge when first started without revving and so on. Very easy to wire 'em proper.
GM never made a one-wire - that's a performance marketing thing and for those who either choose to not figure it out or can't figure it out as far as proper wiring etc.

A car, especially a lower RPM engine, was never intended to run one and those weren't actually intended for common use on automobiles. There's a whole lot behind it - but I can get you all info needed to install a GM alternator and wire it SIMPLY so it works as intended and works well on that car.
Gotta run - more later if desired.

(a so-called "one-wire" alternator uses third-party regulators, they aren't GM no matter what they look like - they are copies modified for single wire applications. Fine on ag and construction equipment, street rods and so on, but not the BEST thing for our use. GM didn't supply a "one-wire" regulator. If you blow a regulator - you can't just buy a GM regulator and pop it in and have it work.)
IowaTom View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2018 at 8:52am
That's news to me!  I always thought it was simplifying something that didn't need to be overly complicated anyway.  Didn't know it had a downside and would appreciate anything you could provide!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic